• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paypal won't close my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hurley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello,
I had some trouble with Paypal seizing some of my money from my bank account because an ebay buyer claimed that they did not recieve the item I sent. As a result of that experience, I have been trying to close my account with them. I do not owe them any money and my account balance is zero. Paypal agrees that I don't owe them any money, but they refuse to close my account. Instead, they just say they "locked" it for me so neither me nor anyone else can use it. I don't want them to have access to my credit cards and bank account anymore. I have filed a claim with the better business bureau and the attorney general's office mediation department, but they still refuse to close my account. How can I make them close it? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello,
I had some trouble with Paypal seizing some of my money from my bank account because an ebay buyer claimed that they did not recieve the item I sent. As a result of that experience, I have been trying to close my account with them. I do not owe them any money and my account balance is zero. Paypal agrees that I don't owe them any money, but they refuse to close my account. Instead, they just say they "locked" it for me so neither me nor anyone else can use it. I don't want them to have access to my credit cards and bank account anymore. I have filed a claim with the better business bureau and the attorney general's office mediation department, but they still refuse to close my account. How can I make them close it? Thanks in advance for your responses.
There might be something in the TOS you agreed to with PayPal with regards to that. It might be helpful for you to read it.

CraigFL

Why don't you change all the information before they close it? But I'm sure they have it somewhere anyway...

hurley

I would try to change the information if I could, but now I'm even locked out of it. But I've heard that even if you change your information, they still keep your old bank info, just in case they decide they need to make a withdrawal in the future.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
How do I close my PayPal account?

Before you close your account, please keep these things in mind:

* There are no maintenance fees to keep your account open.
* When you close your PayPal account, it can never be reopened and you lose all your account history.
* When you close your account, your incomplete and scheduled transactions are canceled.
* If there are limitations or unresolved issues with your account, it cannot be closed until these are resolved.
* You cannot have a positive balance when you close your account.

If you would still like to close your account, here’s how:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click Profile at the top of the page.
3. Click Close Account in the Account Information column.
4. Follow the steps provided.

https://www.paypal.com/helpscr?cmd=_help&locale=en_US&countrycode=US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&t=solutionTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionId=11935

JustAPal00

Why don't you change all the information before they close it? But I'm sure they have it somewhere anyway...
Craig, You're supposed to give legal advice here, not how to trick the system. Even if the advice is just your legal opinion!

OP, When you sold items on eBay and used PayPal, you agreed to their terms. There is NO WAY PayPal will close your account until all items you sold are beyond the chargeback period. You may not owe them money right now, but if someone else you sold to were to file a SNAD claim with eBay, and win , you will have to refund that money also. If your account were closed they would have no way to get their money from you. Once all your sales are past the chargeback period, I'm sure they will close it!

Last edited:

hurley

But I am way past any chargeback periods. It has been over six months since there has been any activity, buying or selling, on my ebay account. There are no open disputes and no money owed to anyone. There hasn't been any activity on my paypal account either. It is also free and clear with no kind of dispute. They have no reason to keep my account open. They just won't close it and I just want to know how I can get them to do so. They just give me a generic answer of locking it, but in the meantime, they maintain access to my credit card and bank info.

Mass_Shyster

But I am way past any chargeback periods. It has been over six months since there has been any activity, buying or selling, on my ebay account. There are no open disputes and no money owed to anyone. There hasn't been any activity on my paypal account either. It is also free and clear with no kind of dispute. They have no reason to keep my account open. They just won't close it and I just want to know how I can get them to do so. They just give me a generic answer of locking it, but in the meantime, they maintain access to my credit card and bank info.
Close your bank account and open a new one.

Get another credit card number.

davezan

Craig, You're supposed to give legal advice here
I thought lawyers (U.S.-based ones, anyway) aren't supposed to give online
legal advice as it might be an unethical act for them. Then again, that rather
defeats the purpose of giving "free advice" in this forum. :D

Unless some lawyer knows some applicable law here, I honestly don't see how
the OP can get eBay/PayPal to close the account and delete their credit card
details.

JustAPal00

legal advice as it might be an unethical act for them. Then again, that rather

Unless some lawyer knows some applicable law here, I honestly don't see how
the OP can get eBay/PayPal to close the account and delete their credit card
details.
Who said anything about Lawyers? You don't have to go to school and pass the bar to know something about the law. Besides most people just use Google!

JustAPal00

I don't understand the big deal then. Why are you so worried?

Antigone*

legal advice as it might be an unethical act for them.
Then again, that rather

Yes...you thought wrong.:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">