• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to transfer title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdannyt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I bought a car a couple of months ago on ebay (in NJ). The seller had signed the title but there was a car dealer name in the buyer section. I have recently fixed the car and was ready to transfer the title to my name. Well can`t do it because of name in buyers section. I have tried to contact the seller to get a duplicate title then transfer to me but he has moved and no one knows where. Tried yellow pages, online and a letter. Can`t find him. Also the dealer in the buyer section can`t be tracked. I went to court of common pleas in PA to the prothonatary and was told to file a petition. I know how to lay it out because I did it for my divorce. I was wondering what I was suppose to write on the petition and what to request. How much does this usually cost (to file $115, any additional?) Beside the title, what else will I need? Is this the best way to get the title?

FlyingRon

Why on earth did you take a title that wasn't made out to you?
And the first thing I do with titles is take them down to get one issued with my name, that way I know when I can still find the seller if there was a problem.

bigdannyt

Well I got a $4000.00 cadillac sts for $800 which I figured I could part out and make good money. Turns out seller didn`t know what was really wrong with it and it was a cheap fix. Now because everything is in such excellent condition I would rather keep it. Now I can no longer contact him (tried everything and everywhere) I was told by dmv to go to court to petition a title transfer. Its almost like titling an abanded car. I just never had to do this before and I`m trying to keep costs down by doing it myself. Any been thru anything similar?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">