• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone app company not honoring subscription transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mondain001

Hello everyone,

I'm currently having an issue with a company named Unbound Medicine. I'm a current nursing student and earlier this year I downloaded their drug guide onto my iPhone. I purchased a one-year subscription to access the drug guide on Sept. 4th using my iPhone. Yesterday I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy S5 and went to transfer the program onto the new phone. After typing in the my username and password my phone prompted me to contact customer support to transfer the account over as it was bound on my old iPhone. I contacted them today, 12/9/14 via phone. The person I spoke with over the phone informed me that if I was to have purchased the subscription using my computer they would have been able to transfer the account over to the new phone, however; since I purchased the subscription using my iPhone the payment processing went through the apple store. As apple and Samsung are competitors they are unable to transfer the account over and I would be required to cancel my old account and re-purchase a new subscription. I politely pointed out that it is written in two different locations on their website that they are able to transfer the account cross-platform and does not state that it is limited to only subscriptions purchased via a computer. The woman on the phone reiterated to me that there was nothing they could do on their end since i purchased it using the iPhone. I asked to be transferred to someone higher up that I could talk to and recorded her name for my records. She told me that she was the district manager and there was no one higher to speak to. She pointed me to contact apple to ask for a refund for the product, but than stated that I would most likely not gain a refund as the product was working as intended and is not defected.

I would like any advice on what I can do at this point. I find that it is complete false advertising on their part and don't wish to purchase a new subscription at the cost of $44 a year when I just purchased a yearly subscription 3 months ago.

Here is what is written about transferring accounts on their website cross-platform under their support Q&A.

I want to install my app on a new device.
As long as your subscription has not expired, you can move the Unbound product from one device to another by deleting the software from the old device and following the proper installation instructions for the new device.

Please note that if you have previously installed to more than two devices, you will need to contact support to have your account switched to the new device. We are able to switch this application over in a matter of seconds given that you are able to provide either the account�s username, e-mail address, or serial number to a support representative over the phone or through e-mail.

Please select the new device type for installation instructions.

Android
iOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad)
Why is the application listed as free when you have to pay for a subscription?
As stated in the application store description, our applications are listed as free for the convenience of our existing customers. The free download does not work without a username and password. Existing customers can easily transfer applications regardless of different platforms and without repurchasing as long as their account is active. The username and password will also grant access to the companion web site if purchased from the Unbound Medicine website.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, your time, energy, and resources would be better applied to just paying the $44 again.

ETA: I don't see anything about transferring from iOS to Android in what you posted...

ETA again - Oops - yeah it's there.

Last edited:

single317dad

Have you tried calling again with the same question in hopes of getting another support representative? That's usually my first recourse when I get unsatisfactory support.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What support told you makes perfect sense to me. Your best bet is going to be to approach Apple to see about a refund. I had a BlackBerry and went to Android. Had to repurchase an app or two, because of the way things work. :cool:

quincy

I'm currently having an issue with a company named Unbound Medicine. ... I politely pointed out that it is written in two different locations on their website that they are able to transfer the account cross-platform and does not state that it is limited to only subscriptions purchased via a computer. ... She pointed me to contact apple to ask for a refund for the product, but than stated that I would most likely not gain a refund as the product was working as intended and is not defected.

I would like any advice on what I can do at this point. I find that it is complete false advertising on their part and don't wish to purchase a new subscription at the cost of $44 a year when I just purchased a yearly subscription 3 months ago.

Here is what is written about transferring accounts on their website cross-platform under their support Q&A.
Although I agree that contacting Apple for a refund seems your best course of action, followed by purchasing a new subscription, you can also send a letter through regular mail (not email) to the Unbound Medicine Corporate Headquarters.

Your letter should include copies of their advertisements that state the Unbound product can be "easily transferred" from one device to another, "regardless of different platforms and without repurchasing." Detail the problem you found in trying to transfer the product from your Apple iPhone to Samsung. You can mention that you found the advertising did not reflect what you discovered after speaking with the Unbound Medicine support staff.

Do NOT make any accusations of false advertising. If it is false or misleading advertising, those in the Corporate Offices should see it as that and will respond to your letter and concerns appropriately.

Here is a link with the Corporate Headquarters addresses: http://www.unboundmedicine.com/contact

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">