• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone company has mislead me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dean89

Hello all,

Just a quick question.

I took a contract out through a phone company, the basis of me taking this contract was that I get a cheque for £400 41 days after I received my phone. I asked a number of times that I would definately receive this cheque 41 days after I received my phone & that the 41 days included weekends and bank holidays, I was told they did.

It has now been 46 days, I have gone over my overdraft because I budgeted around receiving this cheque (incurring bank charges in the process), I have no money to live & I am currently borrowing off my girlfriends parents.

I rang the company to find out that the cheque hadnt even been sent yet & would take up to another 14 days! I also rang them 3 weeks ago to change my house address as I moved out & they hadnt even changed that either.

the implications of me going overdrawn is that I incur bank charges & also I now can't increase my overdraft facility, which I was going to do at the end of the month by £200 (reason I couldnt do it earlier is because I needed to stay out of my overdraft for 6 months, this month is the 5th). It is costing me also to ring them which gets added to my bill.

I said I wanted to cancel my contract as they have not upheld their part of the deal, they said I can't as the 'gift policy' is nothing to do with the contract and that I am now tied in for 2 years with the contract. They offered me an extra £15 as a gesture of goodwill (which is the amount I have gone over my overdraft by), I refused.

I then asked for all recordings of phonecalls I have made to them to be emailed over to myself, they said it would be £10 admin fee for that. I agreed, then they said I could only pay by cheque! I explained I dont have a cheque book so can I make a bank transfer, they said no as they do not have a static bank account. I explained that if I were to send them a cheque, they would cash it into a bank account, so can I have the bank details of the account they would pay the cheque into, she said she would get the manager to ring me back, he hasnt rang me back yet.

So, where do I stand here? basically, I either want my contract cancelling, or compensating for the amount I have gone overdrawn by, the amount that my bank are going to charge me for being overdrawn, the amount I cant increase my overdraft by now & also the amount of charges in calls I have had to make to them (around £250 in total).

I do not know anything about law really so I dont know whether or not I should just leave it. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Proserpina

Hello all,

Just a quick question.

I took a contract out through a phone company, the basis of me taking this contract was that I get a cheque for £400 41 days after I received my phone. I asked a number of times that I would definately receive this cheque 41 days after I received my phone & that the 41 days included weekends and bank holidays, I was told they did.

It has now been 46 days, I have gone over my overdraft because I budgeted around receiving this cheque (incurring bank charges in the process), I have no money to live & I am currently borrowing off my girlfriends parents.

I rang the company to find out that the cheque hadnt even been sent yet & would take up to another 14 days! I also rang them 3 weeks ago to change my house address as I moved out & they hadnt even changed that either.

the implications of me going overdrawn is that I incur bank charges & also I now can't increase my overdraft facility, which I was going to do at the end of the month by £200 (reason I couldnt do it earlier is because I needed to stay out of my overdraft for 6 months, this month is the 5th). It is costing me also to ring them which gets added to my bill.

I said I wanted to cancel my contract as they have not upheld their part of the deal, they said I can't as the 'gift policy' is nothing to do with the contract and that I am now tied in for 2 years with the contract. They offered me an extra £15 as a gesture of goodwill (which is the amount I have gone over my overdraft by), I refused.

I then asked for all recordings of phonecalls I have made to them to be emailed over to myself, they said it would be £10 admin fee for that. I agreed, then they said I could only pay by cheque! I explained I dont have a cheque book so can I make a bank transfer, they said no as they do not have a static bank account. I explained that if I were to send them a cheque, they would cash it into a bank account, so can I have the bank details of the account they would pay the cheque into, she said she would get the manager to ring me back, he hasnt rang me back yet.

So, where do I stand here? basically, I either want my contract cancelling, or compensating for the amount I have gone overdrawn by, the amount that my bank are going to charge me for being overdrawn, the amount I cant increase my overdraft by now & also the amount of charges in calls I have had to make to them (around £250 in total).

I do not know anything about law really so I dont know whether or not I should just leave it. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry Dean, we only deal with US law here.

Proserpina

It also sounds like you could not afford the phone to begin with.

Not going to disagree with you there!

And seriously, OP? I'm a Brit and I mean no offense when I say this but seriously in today's day and age you have no business signing anything other than your first name in crayon on a bit of school paper if you're going around committing yourself to things without knowing what you're doing.

Extra free advice: If you're having to live by your overdraft, you're living WAY beyond your means.

Antigone*

I'm sensing a British invasion on the board today:eek:. This is nutter # 2 and it is only 8am on the West Coast.

Pro, honey, can you pass me a crumpet?

dean89

say what you like about me & my finances....but dont be bad mouthing crumpets!......they're delicious.

Proserpina

say what you like about me & my finances....but dont be bad mouthing crumpets!......they're delicious.
Fear not, Dean - my fine fellows here won't be dissing on the wonder that is the crumpet!

(And thanks for keeping your sense of humour :D )

<---resident crumpet muncher

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">