• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plenti Points Account Hacked Points Stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbenn2611

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My sister has a plenti points account that she started at Rite Aid that had 30,000 points in it. She hadn't completed the activation, so someone else used her phone number and signed up with her info. She then used ALL of my sister's points. We know the person who did this and have the proof (She used her own NAME!) when signing up for the account. Can any action be made against her? She doesn't really seem to care that much or even realize that she has committed fraud on my sister. Thank you for any help!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My sister has a plenti points account that she started at Rite Aid that had 30,000 points in it. She hadn't completed the activation, so someone else used her phone number and signed up with her info. She then used ALL of my sister's points. We know the person who did this and have the proof (She used her own NAME!) when signing up for the account. Can any action be made against her? She doesn't really seem to care that much or even realize that she has committed fraud on my sister. Thank you for any help!
You can report the incident to the police who will then investigate the matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would discuss this with Rite-aid first.

But my question is; how could an account where the activation was not completed acquire points?
They grab a new card, scan it (for the points) and hand it to you with instructions to go online to register/activate your account. I've shredded several cards that I've obtained in this manner.

justalayman

So, based on that, it would appear the points accumulate on some account associated with that card which would have some, possibly hidden, account number.

So the question then becomes; how did this third party have access to that account number so as to be able to claim the accumulated points?

But let's presume the did somehow claim points they didn't have a right to; what is the actual cash value of those 30,000 points?

Zigner

So, based on that, it would appear the points accumulate on some account associated with that card which would have some, possibly hidden, account number.

So the question then becomes; how did this third party have access to that account number so as to be able to claim the accumulated points?

But let's presume the did somehow claim points they didn't have a right to; what is the actual cash value of those 30,000 points?
$300.

ETA: Well, $300 in "rewards" - I suppose the actual value could vary, depending on the merchant's policies where you redeem the points.

justalayman

Ok. It's a discount card where points are used as a represtatation of cash but only in the form of a discount.

So how did third party access these points?

I suspect the cops aren't going to get involved. Too many confounding issue including op's sister being able to prove their claim of ownership of the points.

At best op's sister might consider small claims court but unless op's sister has something fairly solid to show ownership of the points and they did not relinquish said points to whomever now claims them, even if only through absndonment and a few other issues that are too wordy to write about, op's friend probably won't win.

Zigner

Ok. It's a discount card where points are used as a represtatation of cash but only in the form of a discount.

I suspect the cops aren't going to get involved. Too many confounding issue including op's sister being able to prove their claim of ownership of the points.

At best op's sister might consider small claims court but unless op's sister has something fairly solid to show ownership of the points and they did not relinquish said points to whomever now claims them, even if only through absndonment and a few other issues that are too wordy to write about, op's friend probably won't win.
I think that sums it up pretty well.

LdiJ

No, I am pretty sure that its not a discount card. You get points for purchasing products, and then you in turn can go and use those points to purchase other products.

Zigner

No, I am pretty sure that its not a discount card. You get points for purchasing products, and then you in turn can go and use those points to purchase other products.
Right - Tomato/Tomato

justalayman

So it would allow up to a 100% discount on purchases, right? Still a discount as opposed to having an actual cash value like in being able to slap down the card and walking away with cash in hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">