• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting someones personal info on a forum for all to see?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patsblewit

What is the name of your state? MI

Know of a business that allows its members to sell used merchandise on its message boards. There have been a few deals gone sour and the store owners and forum moderators allow the purchaser to post the sellers info: SSN, Drivers License #, Addresses, family contacts and numbers, etc.

They even network to the possibility of someone in the sellers local area knocking on his door for a friendly reminder that he didnt deliver. They also call the sellers family and get everyone involved.

Is this against the law? Should the store and moderators remove such posts or be held accountable, especially if something happened to the seller? Who knows if the seller really did come through and the buyer was just being a fool?

I think business should be conducted by the two parties and authorities if needed. Not to post and involve someones family and friends and the safety of all of them!

Anyone have any info on this scenario?

quincy

How, exactly, do these people get ahold of social security numbers (and driver's license numbers and family member phone numbers, for that matter)?

msiron

Why do you care, it was scam buyer or seller. They should be exposed so no one else does business with them, and loses.

I imagine since there was a sale and it's probably a large ticket item that the seller wanted proof that the buyer is legit and acquired the info from the buyer, or vice-versa, right?

Once you have a name/or address the rest of the info, if you know how, including SS, DL, and vehicle REG is easily obtainable.

quincy

Msiron -
Were you addressing me with the "why do you care" comment? Because if you were, I care, because it makes a difference how the number was obtained and by whom. Phone numbers and addresses are public record and, therefore, not a concern, as they are already "published", and driver's license numbers are not tied to Identity theft like Social Security Numbers are. Identity theft litigation shows that the Social Security Number is central to committing fraud. How these numbers were obtained, and by whom, is sort of important information if you want to stop fraudulent activity.

Patsblewit -
Michigan has the Social Security Number Privacy Act 454 of 2004 which makes the unauthorized use of someone's social security number a misdemeanor, which can result in jail time up to 93 days and/or fines up to $1000. In addition, civil action is possible, with recovery of actual damages for losses incurred as a result of the unauthorized use of a social security number, as well as recovery of attorney fees necessary to bring the civil action against the unauthorized user.

In addition to Michigan's SS# Privacy Act, other states have similar acts and the federal government has privacy laws. Congress has two bills being debated in the House Ways and Means Committee currently, both of which address the unauthorized use of social security numbers, with criminal penalties suggested of up to $250,000 in fines and 5 years in prison, and misdemeanor penalties up to $5000 per violation.

I would consult with an attorney about bringing action against those guilty of publishing social security numbers, and see if there is any other action worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">