• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential bedbug lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nick71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

About two weeks ago I posted an ad on Craigslist giving away my bedroom set, including a mattress from my rental property. This apartment was tenant occupied for a year and the new tenants didn't want the old furniture. Again, I did not sell these items but gave it away for free. So the guy who took the items texts me two weeks later saying he and his girlfriend have severe bedbug bites. He says I should pay him at least $600 or he will take legal action. So far he has sent half a dozen texts threatening to take me to court. I have not responded to any of his texts. I'm seeking advice how to proceed. Obviously I would never knowingly give anybody an infested mattress and frankly suspect the guy is trying to scam me. What should I do? Should I respond and what should I say? Does he have any case? Whatever feedback you have is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ignore him. I have a messaging app that can "blacklist" certain numbers so that I don't see them if they text me.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

About two weeks ago I posted an ad on Craigslist giving away my bedroom set, including a mattress from my rental property. This apartment was tenant occupied for a year and the new tenants didn't want the old furniture. Again, I did not sell these items but gave it away for free. So the guy who took the items texts me two weeks later saying he and his girlfriend have severe bedbug bites. He says I should pay him at least $600 or he will take legal action. So far he has sent half a dozen texts threatening to take me to court. I have not responded to any of his texts. I'm seeking advice how to proceed. Obviously I would never knowingly give anybody an infested mattress and frankly suspect the guy is trying to scam me. What should I do? Should I respond and what should I say? Does he have any case? Whatever feedback you have is appreciated.
I suggest you ignore the fellow. Do not respond to his text messages.

It was up to him to examine the mattress prior to taking it.

He has no case against you.

Isis1

I suggest you ignore the fellow. Do not respond to his text messages.

It was up to him to examine the mattress prior to taking it.

He has no case against you.

i agree with the previous responses. he should have inspected his free item before taking it. $600??? i know there is a $60 prescribed cream that you can use....and the mattresses were free so no value. clinic appointments can run about $45 per person. total scam.

nick71

Thanks for you responses. The $600 he wants mostly to hire an exterminator. I thought he had no case. He could be bluffing (I don't think this guy even knows my last name) but this guy has nothing to lose and possibly could file with small claims court. What concerns me is if he does that and I don't receive notice to appear, he could get default judgement. Sorry to be ignorant but does the small claims court have to serve me personally or would they mail it to my rental property?

quincy

Thanks for you responses. The $600 he wants mostly to hire an exterminator. I thought he had no case. He could be bluffing (I don't think this guy even knows my last name) but this guy has nothing to lose and possibly could file with small claims court. What concerns me is if he does that and I don't receive notice to appear, he could get default judgement. Sorry to be ignorant but does the small claims court have to serve me personally or would they mail it to my rental property?
Yes, anyone can sue. If he files suit against you, you will be served with a summons and complaint.

Ignore him and his text messages. He is not entitled to anything. He picked up the mattress for free - no different than if he found it on the side of the road - and he got what he got.

If he continues to bother you, contact the police and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">