• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private online sale gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

federal3t22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct

Here's what maybe a weird one. 1st of all I am a collector or railroad memorabilia which also includes locomotive horns. Now I belonged to the horn and whistle message board where other railroad enthusiasts talk trains, and their horns. Now they have a section for sales, and I have made a few sales and purchases there with no problems. A few months ago I posted 2 horns for sale, which were sold with in 2 days, and received payment through PayPal. One buyer is from Az the other from tx. Everything was going fine, than I hit a snag and was unable to ship out right away. One buyer got impatient and wanted a refund the other told me to take my time. Now I was unable to fully refund, the one buyer and gave him a partial refund with the intention of refunding him the rest as soon as I could. In the past week, both have been publicly posting their tired of waiting and are considering contacting my local police Department regarding this. My question, can they contact my police department, and if they do, how long before anything happens? I intend on refund both this week.

sandyclaus

Here's what maybe a weird one. 1st of all I am a collector or railroad memorabilia which also includes locomotive horns. Now I belonged to the horn and whistle message board where other railroad enthusiasts talk trains, and their horns. Now they have a section for sales, and I have made a few sales and purchases there with no problems. A few months ago I posted 2 horns for sale, which were sold with in 2 days, and received payment through PayPal. One buyer is from Az the other from tx. Everything was going fine, than I hit a snag and was unable to ship out right away. One buyer got impatient and wanted a refund the other told me to take my time. Now I was unable to fully refund, the one buyer and gave him a partial refund with the intention of refunding him the rest as soon as I could. In the past week, both have been publicly posting their tired of waiting and are considering contacting my local police Department regarding this. My question, can they contact my police department, and if they do, how long before anything happens? I intend on refund both this week.
This is civil matter, NOT a police matter any this point.

The fact that you "hit a snag" in shipping out items that you sold is not your buyers' fault or responsibility. In their eyes, you took their money and haven't given up the goods. I would probably be pretty upset myself if you did this to me.

The buyers' recourse is to file the appropriate claims through eBay and PayPal. You should expect very bad feedback on eBay (item never shipped) and you might even face problems with PayPal if they win a dispute there. (Some sellers are faced with PayPal facilitating a reversal of the transaction, leaving your PayPal account in the negative - and even suspension of your PayPal account privileges.)

So, what is this horrific snag you experienced that somehow prevented you from shipping the goods AND refunding the money they paid for MONTHS following your auction??

Mass_Shyster

The Police may get involved if they believe fraud is involved.

OP was paid several months ago and still has not made good. There are at least two victims. The police don't simply ignore scammers and tell the victims, "Sorry, it's a civil matter".

swalsh411

You are a scammer and a thief and I hope you get banned from that message board for your despicable actions.

racer72

The fact that you "hit a snag" in shipping out items that you sold is not your buyers' fault or responsibility. In their eyes, you took their money and haven't given up the goods. I would probably be pretty upset myself if you did this to me.

The buyers' recourse is to file the appropriate claims through eBay and PayPal. You should expect very bad feedback on eBay (item never shipped) and you might even face problems with PayPal if they win a dispute there. (Some sellers are faced with PayPal facilitating a reversal of the transaction, leaving your PayPal account in the negative - and even suspension of your PayPal account privileges.)

So, what is this horrific snag you experienced that somehow prevented you from shipping the goods AND refunding the money they paid for MONTHS following your auction??
The sale was not through Ebay, the buyers have no recourse through them.

Astrolink

Paypal requires you have secondary funding, as in a credit card or bank account tied to Paypal so you can purchase items or refund without having any actual money in your Paypal account. The original buyers gave you the benefit of the doubt too long and have passed the time threshold to reverse their charge via Paypal. This doesn't mean you are off the hook depending on what your intent is.

A "horn" can't cost more than $15 each to send by Fedex..what could the possible "snag" be that you couldn't send them? And, why are you refunding them, when you could have sent them months ago? Why aren't you sending them now? If you have the money to refund this week, you certainly have the money to ship. You are missing facts here.

swalsh411

I would really love to see the OP return and try to justify why he took somebody's money and did not ship the item.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">