• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private party boat sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kcantiberos

I purchased or was in the purchase process of buying a boat through a private seller. My financing was completed and check overnighted to the seller (they received the funds via ups today). After being in contact with them all through this process even up until yesterday- I was trying to arrange shipment (I'm in WA state and the boat in AZ) the seller called me and told me he sold the boat to someone else yesterday. If my financing already went through and the check was cut isn't this illegal? Now I have a boat loan and am a registered owner on a boat that they decided last minute to sell to someone else? Do I have legal ground to stand on here? Any advice on how to handle this?

FlyingRon

Eh? If the boat is titled to you (most lenders won't release funds until they get their lien in place), how can he sell it to someone else? He may have taken money from someone else and they have possession of the boat, but if it's titled to you, it is still yours.

Mass_Shyster

I purchased or was in the purchase process of buying a boat through a private seller. My financing was completed and check overnighted to the seller (they received the funds via ups today). After being in contact with them all through this process even up until yesterday- I was trying to arrange shipment (I'm in WA state and the boat in AZ) the seller called me and told me he sold the boat to someone else yesterday. If my financing already went through and the check was cut isn't this illegal? Now I have a boat loan and am a registered owner on a boat that they decided last minute to sell to someone else? Do I have legal ground to stand on here? Any advice on how to handle this?
I'm not sure, but this sounds fishy. Have you seen the boat? What was the method of payment? Do you have the ability to stop payment on the funds?

You stated that you are the "registered" owner. Where was this ownership registered?

The ONLY reason that I believe it may not be a scam is that they told you they sold the boat to someone else, unless they are going to try to convince you to outbid the other guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">