• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase from craiglst

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ram_tripathi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:-
I bought one drawer on craiglist. It was listed as "sale for $175". I messaged the lady "I am interested in drwaer for 125. Is it available" for which she text me back as "Yes". After that i went to her house to look and found it can't fit in my car. On saying same to her, her husband offered that he can drop teh furniture to my house for no charge on coming weekend and i paid her $50. When He cam to drop of furniture and i gave him rest $75 he said its for sale for $175 and not for $125 to which i said i have confirmation from your wife in message that she is selling for $125 and thats why i am giving $75. She called back his wife and confirmed and said to me that her wife never agreed for $125. I showed him the message to which he said "My wife replied yes to your question is it available and not to $125". I said its all in one message and thats why this deal is. He responded as "fine, i dont buy it but be happy. It was not supposed to sale for $125" and left. He didn't even seemed to discuss it. Now afetr three days of this i got Voice Message from wife saying " she consulted some attorney and we have cheated her so she is going to put lawsuit if i don't give her $50". from past 2 days i am getting this voice message. I have been fair to my side and would have paid if his husband would not have left the premises abruptly. Now my question for your kind considerations is:-
1. Does this qualifies for lawsuit? Can it be real threat i should be worried about?
2. I have text message conversation (as mentioned above) and voice messages she left. In case you think it can be a lawsuite would that help proving my point?
3. She says that she has conversation of us at her house recorded on security cam at her garage where we met and she said that her husband did mention $175 there. I dont recall he mentioning it as we visited only after negotiation on price.

Please let me know what would be the best. I dont want unnecessary trouble but at same time i want my pride as well. I did not cheated her and all this is because of confusion.

She knows my apartment complex name and not my apartment number and i am not taking her calls. Can she go get the address from AT&T as she knows my cell number?
My evidence:-
-I have text message as i described in question where she replied as "Yes" to my question "I am interetsed in Drawer for $125. Is it available?"
- I have two threatening voice message where she threaten me go to file law suite.

Her Evidence:-
- Video footage where she claims that her husband mentioned that its up for sale for $175. I definitely not discussed or replied or had any type of conversation mentioning whole final price.

Question:-
- What is the possibility that she will win?
- There is no written agreement or email on price negotiation and its all verbal. What would be treated in court as agreement of sale for this case?
- I am indian and working here on H1-B visa. I am aspirent of GC. If in case she wins lawsuite would i be charged with fraud? Will it affect my GC application in any ways for instance, "you have conviction of fraud because of lawsuite and thats why GC is denied"?
- Text message and Voice messages communication happened through cell phone owned by my wife. Does this means that this whole case wil be against her or against us as couple?

Thanks,
Ram

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You slipped her a mickey :rolleyes:

Morally, you owe the $50 (it was a pretty slimy thing to do.)

Legally? You owe the money. The simple fact is that you asked if it was available and made a typo on the price (since she never had an item offered for $125, then it can easily be seen that your message about the price was a simple error on your part.)

Digger206

Your "offer" of $125 was an "offer" (a statement, not a question). "I'm interested in the XXXX for $125.

"Is it still available?" is a question. Her answer to the QUESTION was YES (it's still available).

Can she sue you ? Maybe. Problem is, they delivered the item and accepted your money. Theoretically, they waived the right to any further funds.

However, in your post, you also said you would have paid the husband if he had not left so abruptly.

Want to sleep better tonight ? Want to save yourself the time and energy of having to defend a measly $50 lawsuit ? Pay them the $50.

Next time, clarify the final price by email, text, something provable. Not just an offer to buy it for less, but a confirmation that the seller will take less.

Now that we've settled that, when you attend your HS reunion, hunt down your English Teacher and punch them in the face.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your "offer" of $125 was an "offer" (a statement, not a question). "I'm interested in the XXXX for $125.
And that is where I disagree. Since the other party never HAD an item for sale for $125, it was merely a typo on the OP's part.

That is what the court would need to sort out.

Perhaps the OP ought to offer to split the cost, as there was obviously a misunderstanding.

CSO286

- I am indian and working here on H1-B visa. I am aspirent of GC. If in case she wins lawsuite would i be charged with fraud? Will it affect my GC application in any ways for instance, "you have conviction of fraud because of lawsuite and thats why GC is denied"?
- Text message and Voice messages communication happened through cell phone owned by my wife. Does this means that this whole case wil be against her or against us as couple?

Thanks,
Ram

Now that we've settled that, when you attend your HS reunion, hunt down your English Teacher and punch them in the face.
Did you read the entire post? The fact that OP speaks English this well means that he has been studying it for quite some time.

Grow up.

Last edited:

Digger206

And that is where I disagree. Since the other party never HAD an item for sale for $125, it was merely a typo on the OP's part.

That is what the court would need to sort out.

Perhaps the OP ought to offer to split the cost, as there was obviously a misunderstanding.
Counter-offers are made all the time on sites like Craigs List. Question or statement, it's still an offer to pay less. ("Will you accept $125 ?" as opposed or rather equal to "I'm interested in it at $125").

Possibly an error, but that's an assumption. It wasn't a typo, otherwise she wouldn't have made it such an issue during the delivery and the attempt by the husband to get the whole $175.

Maybe it WOULD be better to split the difference.

Did you read the entire post? The fact that OP speaks English this well means that he has been studying it for quite some time.
You're right. I was attempting some humor. My mistake.

swalsh411

Even if she sues and win this is a civil matter not criminal. You would not be charged with anything. Losing a case in small claims court is any way not a black mark on your record. The only possible issue could be if you did not pay if she won, then it could go on your credit report as an unsatisfied judgement.

davidmcbeth3

Now that's a Classy Comment!!

To the OP: they took your money.

They did not write out a sales receipt...that's on them.

No way they will win in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">