• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased stolen item off ebay, seller refused refund. Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleyman89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in California, seller lives in New York.
I purchased a Rug Doctor off ebay months ago. It took about a month before I received it. The machine did not work, and before i decided to take it into a repair shop i called to find out if it was a stolen machine because the side of it(which was never showed in the pictures) said property of Rug Doctor. I find out the machine is stolen but by this time it passed the ebay/paypal time to dispute and they did absolutely nothing to help me. The seller agreed to refund me and would have UPS pick up the machine. I boxed it and had it ready. A month passes by, aggravated by this I get into contact with rug doctor and tell the seller he hasnt responded back so I had contacted rug doctor, and file a internet fraud dispute. He tells me he "forgot" and since I didn't give him a chance he wasn't willing to refund me until he was contacted by rug doctor or the authorities. Rug doctor gets in contact with him and offers to refund the guy his purchase price if he refunded me. He does the same crap again, telling me to have it ready and I haven't heard from him since. I dropped the machine off at the local sheriff office and filed a report. They thought I was a joke as I explained the situation and told me I wasn't going to get my money back, it was white collar crime . I paid $265 for the machine( Im only 18) and its a lot of money to me. I have the transaction between me and the guy for $265 with paypal, emails from the seller, emails from the rug doctor loss prevention coordinator, and rug doctor would be behind me. Is there a shot to actually get my money back from this guy? I have all information showing the machine is stolen property and that this guy sold it to me. Please, this has been a long, angering process that has lead me nowhere and I could really use some advice to what i should do next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">