• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about lottery ticket ownership bought through third party service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoined

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - i live outside the the US and Europe

Dear Sirs,

I would like to have your legal advice about buying lottery tickets through a third party which is xxxcom, and how trustworthy (legal-wise) it is for customers to claim their winning multi-million $ prize (if they win) through their service. The company claims that as soon as i make an order on their site, an agent of them buys the ticket accordingly (from an official retailer in the country where the lottery is taking place), and then the company sends me a scan of the ticket and a confirmation number of my order to my email address; they say that this is a sufficient proof that i am the legal owner of the ticket that was purchased.

I want to know if it is really sufficient or not, or guaranteed enough.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - i live outside the the US and Europe

Dear Sirs,

I would like to have your legal advice about buying lottery tickets through a third party which is XXX.com, and how trustworthy (legal-wise) it is for customers to claim their winning multi-million $ prize (if they win) through their service. The company claims that as soon as i make an order on their site, an agent of them buys the ticket accordingly (from an official retailer in the country where the lottery is taking place), and then the company sends me a scan of the ticket and a confirmation number of my order to my email address; they say that this is a sufficient proof that i am the legal owner of the ticket that was purchased.

I want to know if it is really sufficient or not, or guaranteed enough.

Thank you in advance.
Then we can't help you. U.S laws only.

antoined

"Outside the US and Europe" is a pretty big place! Can you be more specific?
I live in Lebanon, i want to buy European or American lottery tickets via 3rd party service like XXX

The company claims that scanning the purchased ticket and sending the scanned image to my email address along with the confirmation number of my order is a sufficient proof that guarantees that i am the legal owner of the purchased ticket.

I'm asking if i win a multi-million dollar prize, does that guarantee (legally) that i will be the receiver of the prize?

Thanks

eerelations

I don't know about the US, but I do know that in Mexico and in Canada, lottery ticket purchasers may not legally claim winnings unless they are citizens of those countries. I don't know about the US; someone else here can probably help you with that.

So while you may be the legal owner of a Canadian or Mexican lottery ticket, you will not be allowed to legally collect any Canadian or Mexican lottery winnings. This probably applies to many other countries as well. Which may render your original question moot.

antoined

I don't know about the US, but I do know that in Mexico and in Canada, lottery ticket purchasers may not legally claim winnings unless they are citizens of those countries. I don't know about the US; someone else here can probably help you with that.

So while you may be the legal owner of a Canadian or Mexican lottery ticket, you will not be allowed to legally collect any Canadian or Mexican lottery winnings. This probably applies to many other countries as well. Which may render your original question moot.

In that case, if the prize was collected under the company's or one of their agents' name, would i still be entitled to receive the prize since i am the legal owner at least according to the company's policy/contract (not necessarily the territory/state where i'm not)?

eerelations

Depends on the laws of the country that sold you the ticket. In Canada and Mexico this would not be legal, it would have to be done indirectly in such a way that the Mexican/Canadian authorities wouldn't find out. If they did find out (and certainly if you tried this stunt with a Canadian lottery ticket, I would report you in a heartbeat), you and the ticket seller would be charged with a crime. But this too may be moot because I have no idea if you're buying Mexican or Canadian lottery tickets.

I will say that if this lottery ticket seller is trying to sell you Mexican or Canadian lottery tickets and neglecting to tell you that you aren't legally allowed to collect any winnings, this seller is a scammer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you do your due diligence in researching the site. I've reported your post due to the link.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">