• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received Item I did not order - my obligations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illinois

I ordered an item from a MAJOR online retailer I have ordered from before.
They sent me the wrong item.
I contacted them via phone, explained the situation, told them the item they sent had a packing slip for:
A: Different Item
B: Different Consumer with their address

the item they sent me was actually a more expensive version of the item I had ordered. I could have just KEPT it. But I really wanted the item I ordered, not the one they sent me.

So they agreed to send me the item I originally ordered.
They told me they would send me a UPS return label for the mistakenly shipped item.

I have now received the item I originally ordered.
I have not received the UPS return label.

So legally, what are my further obligations here?
Am I legally obligated to stick a Label on this package and bring it to a UPS Store?
What if the label never shows up?
How long am I legally obligated to wait for them to correct their mistake?
Do I have to put this box away and wait "X" number of weeks or months for a UPS driver to show up and say "we're here to pick up a box"?

Does any SOL apply here? If so, how long until I can legally say " That's it, I give up, I'm keeping this item, it is legally mine now".

I am not interested in the moral or ethical consequences of this issue, only the legal ones.
hence, my post.

seniorjudge

johnguerin said:
Illinois

I ordered an item from a MAJOR online retailer I have ordered from before.
They sent me the wrong item.
I contacted them via phone, explained the situation, told them the item they sent had a packing slip for:
A: Different Item
B: Different Consumer with their address

the item they sent me was actually a more expensive version of the item I had ordered. I could have just KEPT it. But I really wanted the item I ordered, not the one they sent me.

So they agreed to send me the item I originally ordered.
They told me they would send me a UPS return label for the mistakenly shipped item.

I have now received the item I originally ordered.
I have not received the UPS return label.

So legally, what are my further obligations here?
Am I legally obligated to stick a Label on this package and bring it to a UPS Store?
What if the label never shows up?
How long am I legally obligated to wait for them to correct their mistake?
Do I have to put this box away and wait "X" number of weeks or months for a UPS driver to show up and say "we're here to pick up a box"?

Does any SOL apply here? If so, how long until I can legally say " That's it, I give up, I'm keeping this item, it is legally mine now".

I am not interested in the moral or ethical consequences of this issue, only the legal ones.
hence, my post.
These things usually take a couple of months.

Anyway, WRITE them (not e-mail) one more time and send it certified mail return receipt requested.

That way, if this slips through the cracks but they later try to get you for stealing, you will have a shot at a fairly good defense.

stealing?

how do they "get" me for "stealing"?

They sent me something I did not order.

I call to tell them they sent me the wrong item, is it my legal obligation to now send a CERTIFIED LETTER to cover my ass for their mistake?

wtf?

well, it *is* "freeadvice" here.....

justalayman

johnguerin said:

I call to tell them they sent me the wrong item, is it my legal obligation to now send a CERTIFIED LETTER to cover my ass for their mistake?

wtf?

The judge is trying to help you avoid what could happen. It is a cover your butt world out there and although it is not fair that you should have to do anything about the companies mistake, it would be prudent to do what it takes to avoid future undeserved hassles.

jimnyc

johnguerin said:

wtf?

Don't listen to the 'freeadvice' then. We'll see you again when you come back here and ask if it's legal for them to have charged you for the item, because that's what I suspect they'll do if you keep the product.

Judge gave you the best advice, send them a CRR letter and cover your butt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">