• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rehomed a quaker to a lady on craigslist. Please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamiezav

We are in North Carolina, I re-homed a pet that we raised from almost birth to a woman, (lets call her julie.) When we met with her, sat down and talked, she seemed so nice. Her mom was with her and they assured us (jack) would have a good home. And we signed an agreement stating that if at anytime she could not care for or did not want jack, that i would be notified and given first option at having him back with us. Signed 2 papers, one for us and one for them. Well today i get a fb pm stating they no longer want jack, due to him biting, and being grumpy, so i said yes of course we will take him back and keep him here, now the person wants us to pay them the full amount back in order to get jack back, i said no that was not agreed upon and they stated they bought jack as a gift for her boyfriend and he was already rehomed and the boyfriend doesnt want him. But that unless i pay them i will not get him back and now she will just keep him until he dies :( and they are threatening to take me to court cause i wont let them sell him and are saying when i clipped his wings i did it wrong and that he cant fly because of it, this is over 2 months ago and we have messaged and facetimed and she always said he was doing good, but after i refused to pay her she states all this stuff is wrong what should i do? I then told her to take him to the vet and get it documented that his wings have problems and that it was me cutting them and not her because she has had him around 2 months. I thought i covered all the bases, meeting with and signing the papers

quincy

We are in North Carolina, I re-homed a pet that we raised from almost birth to a woman, (lets call her julie.) When we met with her, sat down and talked, she seemed so nice. Her mom was with her and they assured us (jack) would have a good home. And we signed an agreement stating that if at anytime she could not care for or did not want jack, that i would be notified and given first option at having him back with us. Signed 2 papers, one for us and one for them. Well today i get a fb pm stating they no longer want jack, due to him biting, and being grumpy, so i said yes of course we will take him back and keep him here, now the person wants us to pay them the full amount back in order to get jack back, i said no that was not agreed upon and they stated they bought jack as a gift for her boyfriend and he was already rehomed and the boyfriend doesnt want him. But that unless i pay them i will not get him back and now she will just keep him until he dies :( and they are threatening to take me to court cause i wont let them sell him and are saying when i clipped his wings i did it wrong and that he cant fly because of it, this is over 2 months ago and we have messaged and facetimed and she always said he was doing good, but after i refused to pay her she states all this stuff is wrong what should i do? I then told her to take him to the vet and get it documented that his wings have problems and that it was me cutting them and not her because she has had him around 2 months. I thought i covered all the bases, meeting with and signing the papers
So you are wondering if you have to pay to get Jack back?

Proserpina

Ordinarily I'd fall right slap bang in the middle of "Tell X to enjoy their new Y" territory.

But not here. OP, I know you feel cheated but this is an animal - you know that he's not going to be treated well if he stays there. I'd be more inclined to just hand over the money and get him out of there.

Sorry.

quincy

A "first option" clause should not preclude the new owners from selling Jack to someone else if jamiezav does not exercise the right to take Jack back. First option only means that, before offering the bird to someone else, jamiezav gets the first chance to purchase the bird if the current owners don't want him any more.

I don't think jamiezav should expect to have the bird returned, in other words, without returning the purchase price of the bird to the current owners.

And I would not expect after two months of ownership that jamiezav could be held responsible for any costs incurred by the new owners for Jack's care or for any problems the new owners may have discovered with Jack during this period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">