• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off on craigslist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaj0u

I live in Oregon.

Basically I looked on craigslist for an xbox 360 and found one for 160 dollars. I contacted the guy and he came to my house. I bought the xbox from him and then updated the xbox and got red rings... basically it was a broken xbox. I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he came back and got the xbox and said he was really sorry and his friend fixes xboxes so he took the xbox.

(at this point I realize I am really stupid for trusting this guy and made a huge mistake giving him the xbox without getting my money)

I then dont hear from the guy for 5 days. Finally he calls me and I answer, he says I can come pick up the xbox from his buddy with him. I go and pick him up then we go to his friends house. His friends wife answers and says that we just missed him. The guy who sold me the xbox now says "oh crap sorry for dragging you out here, ill get you the xbox by tonight." I then dont hear from him for 6 days and he avoids all calls and texts. I go to his buddys house and knock on the door. The wife answers and says to go in the back room to talk to the friend who's house it is. I give the door 1 knock and walk in.

This is where it gets juicy...

I walk into a room with numerous marijuana plants. The guy is like "what the ****?" I then notice that the guy who sold me the xbox is also in the room and looks very uncomfortable that I am there. I ask what is going on and talk to the guy who sold me the xbox outside. He basically tells me he doesnt have the money and the xbox is still not fixed. He promises to get it back to me and I am extremely pissed off and shocked at what is going on. Another week has gone by and he isnt replying to any texts or phone calls.

This is all I have on him and his friend:

I walked into a room full of weed.
I have text message conversation from the seller of the xbox and myself promising a fixed xbox.
The address of the friends house.
The sellers full name.

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN/SHOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION? This was the first time I bought something off Craigslist and yes I was extremely stupid about it but also got extremely unlucky with who I am dealing with.

OHRoadwarrior

You should call the police and report the drug growing operation. You should also reconsider the wisdom of buying electronics off Craigslist, unless you verify they are fully functioning before paying.

swalsh411

Suggest to the seller you either get your money back ASAP or the police will be getting a call regarding the drug house.

Gail
Worst advice EVER. Seriously Gail I cannot believe you would suggest this. OP could literally get himself killed. If these people ever get caught they will remember he threatened them and they know where he lives.

Suggest to the seller you either get your money back ASAP or the police will be getting a call regarding the drug house.

Gail
Doing this might be a criminal act or subject the OP to civil penalties (though I doubt that such a plaintiff would win much).

I would just get the xbox back (microsoft will fix the red ring for nothing if it has not been tampered with) or wait for it to be fixed or get your $$ back and then contact the police.

Or just contact the police and forget about your 160 large.

Cainlord

So you updated the xbox and then got the red rings? I have heard that some systems when a update is done can have that happen to them.

So you updated the xbox and then got the red rings? I have heard that some systems when a update is done can have that happen to them.
Its an overheating issue .. almost all xboxes got it on the early models (mine got it) ~ sent it in and it was returned fixed ... 3yrs now & no issues (even through numerous software upgrades)

A small-time pot-grower in Oregon of all places isn't likely to go shoot the OP for threatening to turn into the cops. There's so much weed in this state that the value is too low.

OP, tell him you want it back or else will take him to small claims. Follow through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">