• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale over craigslist question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tyjam98

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) MA

Hello,

I recently had a product up for sale on Craigslist, and I gave a very detailed listing on the product. A woman expressed interest in the product and after several emails of asking for very specific things (i.e. model #. serial # mfg. date etc.) we arranged a time to meet. She shows up only to her surprise the product was "larger" than she had anticipated. I don't know how this came as a surprise as I have the dimensions on the ad page. We tried to fit it in her car but i didn't want to force anything as she said it would be no problem if she had to come back, however she would buy the product now. I agreed out of being kind to the woman, and now I am regretting it. The fact is I could have gotten it in the car, but she said it would sit there for a few days until she had someone who could help her move it. So we both agreed that she could come back and pick it up when she had help and a larger vehicle. So next she took out cash for the given price of the unit, counted it in front of me and paid me. We both thanked each other and I would wait for her phone call as to when she could pick it up. About two hours later I noticed I have a voice mail, its from her husband. "Hey so my wife stopped by to purchase that product, and after talking to me its not at all what we wanted. It is too bulky for what we need and I would ask if you can reimburse her" That's the voicemail in a nutshell. I'm on the fence here. However even as a buyer, I would never do this. I would make sure to look at the few sentences in the listing to make sure it would fit. She also could have easily said she didn't know if this would work before money exchanged hands. Basically my question is did we have a verbal agreement when money exchanged hands and we had a mutual understanding that she would come back for it? Any suggestions on the matter would be helpful. Thanks!

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) MA

Hello,

I recently had a product up for sale on Craigslist, and I gave a very detailed listing on the product. A woman expressed interest in the product and after several emails of asking for very specific things (i.e. model #. serial # mfg. date etc.) we arranged a time to meet. She shows up only to her surprise the product was "larger" than she had anticipated. I don't know how this came as a surprise as I have the dimensions on the ad page. We tried to fit it in her car but i didn't want to force anything as she said it would be no problem if she had to come back, however she would buy the product now. I agreed out of being kind to the woman, and now I am regretting it. The fact is I could have gotten it in the car, but she said it would sit there for a few days until she had someone who could help her move it. So we both agreed that she could come back and pick it up when she had help and a larger vehicle. So next she took out cash for the given price of the unit, counted it in front of me and paid me. We both thanked each other and I would wait for her phone call as to when she could pick it up. About two hours later I noticed I have a voice mail, its from her husband. "Hey so my wife stopped by to purchase that product, and after talking to me its not at all what we wanted. It is too bulky for what we need and I would ask if you can reimburse her" That's the voicemail in a nutshell. I'm on the fence here. However even as a buyer, I would never do this. I would make sure to look at the few sentences in the listing to make sure it would fit. She also could have easily said she didn't know if this would work before money exchanged hands. Basically my question is did we have a verbal agreement when money exchanged hands and we had a mutual understanding that she would come back for it? Any suggestions on the matter would be helpful. Thanks!
You were very clear in your description of the item, and she bought it after having seen, inspecting, and evaluating it. Sounds like a solid sale to me.

Reply back to them that they are welcome to take the item and sell it on their own if they want to, but you will not reimburse them simply because they have changed their mind. Let them know that you will store it for no more than 30 days as a courtesy, but that beyond that time, you will consider the item abandoned and dispose of it as you see fit. (If you can get their address, you will want to put this IN WRITING, so that they cannot claim you didn't warn them properly).

If they want it, they will have to come and get it. If they don't, then you will be free to re-sell the item if you want.

swalsh411

From a practical standpoint I would return the money because I don't think they are going to come pick it up and then you risk a lot of drama.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">