• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax On A Us Postage Stamp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobo60

What is the name of your state? NC

Hello,

I am new here, and wasnt sure which forum to post this, but here goes! Ii recently purchased a 41 cent US postage stamp at a local gas station/mini mart. I was charged 45 cents instead of 41 cents for the stamp. Is it legal to charge more than the face value of a US postage stamp? Can a tax be placed on a US postage stamp???

Thanks in advance for your help!

bob

racer72

NC law does not specifically exclude postage stamps from sales tax if sold by a secondary retailer. Federal law does specify that the USPS cannot be forced to charge sales tax on postage or postage stamps. By your stamps from a post office if you don't want to pay sales tax.

bobo60

racer72,

thank you for the info. i usually do buy my stamps from USPS. i just was in need of one stamp, late in the evening, and it seemed odd that i was charged .45 for a US postage stamp!...bob

divgradcurl

And there is no federal law requiring that a postage stamp be sold for only its face value. If there were, that would put a damper on the collector market for stamps...

I think the cashier may have simply not known not to charge tax. When I was younger and worked retail one of my first jobs was at a convenience store. I charged tax on a stamp unknowningly and the customer got upset. I got my manager who told me no...we were not allowed to charge tax on stamps. I would simply ask the manager of that station. I bet it was a simple mistake.

The PO does charge more than face value on certain stamps at times. Like for the breast cancer awareness stamps and the extra goes to the charity/fund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">