• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Samsung has not set a return label. Should I issue a chargeback?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cafflog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

On Dec 19 I bought a phone from Samsung.com which I received on the 24th. It's defective.

A: I called to return on the morning of December 26th. They said in 3-5 business days I'll be emailed a label to mail it back.

B: I called the evening of December 30th to let them know I hadn't received a label yet, and re-requested one be sent. They said to wait until at least 7 business days from the initial call have passed.

C: I called on the morning of January 7th to once again let them know I am awaiting a return label, and they said wait another 4-5 business days, that it is being "escalated".

I have confirmed the correct email address is on file. The calls from (B) and (C) have been recorded because I felt uneasy by the representative's tone after call (A).

If I don't receive a label by next Friday I am thinking I will ask for a charge-back. I have since bought another phone. Is this a valid use of a charge-back? I feel like my money is being held hostage, and I will have to make a payment on my card for the defective one to avoid interest charges.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Yes, it does seem like a valid reason.

Just make sure you follow your credit card's instructions to the letter and get it started within the time limit.

Just understand that getting the chargeback doesn't mean you don't owe the money and can't be sued for it or sent to collections.

You might be wise to just pay the shipping cost yourself.

Last edited:

janiekwong

Next time, get your phone in a store, that way if anything happens then you can easily return it to the store. Phones that are bought in stores has an easier return policy and period is much less stressful.

quincy

Next time, get your phone in a store, that way if anything happens then you can easily return it to the store. Phones that are bought in stores has an easier return policy and period is much less stressful.
Please look at posting dates, janiekwong. Older threads should not be revived. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">