• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scam? or Not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samo9090

What is the name of your state? California.

Hey, okay I have heard of this Nigerian scam lately. I just want to know if this one is one of them.

Okay my PocketPC is for sale so i put out an AD in the LA Classifieds. Okay like 1 person emailed me and told me to ship it to his son in Nigeria and gave me an exact address. He said he would send me a Money Order so I gave him my Full Name, and Address. I specified that I want the money order to be in the exact ammount and that I am not going to send him any money back, and he aggreed.
I just want to know, is this another Nigerian scam or is it legit. Am I in danger if I gave him my full name and address? He has given me his DHL account number for me to drop off my item, and has told me to send it as a "gift" to his supposed son. Please help me.

Edit: Is there a way I can screw him over, without being getting in any trouble, because if this is a scam I am really pissed.

PS: His email name is prof hamilton, I'm just saying this to see if anyone else has conducted business with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

S

seniorjudge

Scam.

Report this to the FBI. If they don't handle this kind of stuff, they will tell you who to report it to.

S

samo9090

Should I really report it? Can't I just start ignoring his emails, or back out of the sale. Please post any more help. He said the money order is on its way, what should I do? Am I in any danger if I dont cash it and just ignore him? Please help I am really confused. Thanks

PS: If I do report him is it a common thing and will be done easily, or is it a looonnggg process that I will regret doing.

MinCA

Scam. Why not ship directly to the buyer?

I'm sure there are some honest people in Nigeria, but I haven't heard any good tales. This reeks of scam.

S

seniorjudge

Q: Am I in any danger if I dont cash it and just ignore him?

A: The money order is a forgery. When you get it, either destroy it or turn it over to the FBI. It is illegal to have one in your possession.

I'm sure there are some honest people in Nigeria

I just heard on the news they did find that guy and killed him. :rolleyes:

teflon_jones

Normally Nigeria 419 scams deal with fake cashier's checks drawn on foreign banks. Are they using money orders for these scams now too? Are they US money orders, or from a foreign country?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Normally Nigeria 419 scams deal with fake cashier's checks drawn on foreign banks.

A: There is nothing normal about Nigerian scams.

Q: Are they using money orders for these scams now too? Are they US money orders, or from a foreign country?

A: Both.

MinCA

Usually when someone gets a money order, they think it's good. Deposit it in their accounts, the bank credits them the money. Ship the item. A week or two later the bank contacts you for the money order being fake. You're reponsible for paying it back. And could be facing fraud charges.

If he found you in the classifieds, why not meet you in person and pay with cash that you verify as genuine (those markers are about $3 in stores), and let him mail the item. Don't take a money order, even in person-why not get the funds in cash instead of paying to buy a money order?

I get at least one of these "offers" a day from Craigslist postings I do. I am amazed at the number or people who have sons in Nigeria they want diamond engagement rings mailed to and they they're so kind as to want to send me a money order to spare the time from seeing the rings in person! SARCASM!

Ignore the offer, or any offer for something in the classifieds, if the buyer won't meet you in PERSON and pay CASH.

S

samo9090

Okay, I sent him an email saying that, he should prove to me that this is not a scam by meeting me in person and paying in cash, but I doubt he'll respond because supposedly hes in "China". Okay it's a scam.

So if a money order does come in the mail, and I destroy it am I done with this mess? Is there a chance that he will get pissed and come to my house or something. Sorry for asking all these questions.

Thanks.

ENASNI

Oh jeesh

Oh Original Poster pssttt

Swamp land... real cheap... Florida... want some?
I will throw in a bridge at cost???
Interested?

S

samo9090

samo9090 said:
So if a money order does come in the mail, and I destroy it am I done with this mess? Is there a chance that he will get pissed and come to my house or something. Sorry for asking all these questions.

Thanks.

thats all i wana know and ill stop bothering you guys

S

samo9090

cmon guys seriously if i just tear it up and throw it away im i done with the mess ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">