• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammers sent us a product we didn't order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimS123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

The company I work for has become a victim of a fairly common scam. The scammers call and ask for the name of the shipping manager or warehouse manager, etc. Once they get a name they ship the product to the business and claim that (the manager) ordered the item. I guess they count on the fact that A/P might not check, or even that the manager might think he did order it and just forgot. In any case they count on getting lucky and that the invoice somehow gets paid.

We told them we didn't order it, we're not paying for it, and we're not shipping it back to them on our dime. If they want it back they can create a UPS return shipment. I suspect they might just write it off and not bother.

At what point am I safe in just tossing it in the dumpster? Now? 30 days from now? Never?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

The company I work for has become a victim of a fairly common scam. The scammers call and ask for the name of the shipping manager or warehouse manager, etc. Once they get a name they ship the product to the business and claim that (the manager) ordered the item. I guess they count on the fact that A/P might not check, or even that the manager might think he did order it and just forgot. In any case they count on getting lucky and that the invoice somehow gets paid.

We told them we didn't order it, we're not paying for it, and we're not shipping it back to them on our dime. If they want it back they can create a UPS return shipment. I suspect they might just write it off and not bother.

At what point am I safe in just tossing it in the dumpster? Now? 30 days from now? Never?
You can refuse shipment or you can call UPS to pick up the package for return to sender.

You are right that this is a common scam. You do not have to pay for unordered merchandise.

JimS123

You can refuse shipment or you can call UPS to pick up the package for return to sender.

You are right that this is a common scam. You do not have to pay for unordered merchandise.
Thanks for responding.

Too late to refuse shipment, this one got by us.

I don't want to call UPS myself because I don't want to ship it back on our UPS account. Or are you saying I can have it returned to the sender without having to pay for the return shipment? I didn't know that. If that's true, that'd be the best way to handle it.

quincy

Thanks for responding.

Too late to refuse shipment, this one got by us.

I don't want to call UPS myself because I don't want to ship it back on our UPS account. Or are you saying I can have it returned to the sender without having to pay for the return shipment? I didn't know that. If that's true, that'd be the best way to handle it.
You do not have to pay for unsolicited merchandise, and that includes paying for its return shipment (or keeping what was sent).

Here is a link to USPS information:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailfraud/fraudschemes/othertypes/unsolicitedfraud.aspx

Here is a link to FTC information:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

You can also report to North Carolina's Attorney General the company that is sending you this unwanted, unauthorized, unordered merchandise.

single317dad

I guess it is a BIT of a plus that derekwilson at least repeated correct information. :)
Many a highly touted rookie has come up to the big leagues and hit a home run in his first at-bat; will derekwilson be the next Hoyt Wilhelm, or just another Gene Stechshulte?

justalayman

Many a highly touted rookie has come up to the big leagues and hit a home run in his first at-bat; will derekwilson be the next Hoyt Wilhelm, or just another Gene Stechshulte?
While the statement is correct in itself, it is irrelevant to the OP's question since the shipment was in fact received by the OP's company. The repetition by derekwilson was a more of a pop fly way up into the air that didn't result in any runs scoring. It was impressive but it didn't really help win the game.

quincy

The next Hoyt Wilhelm of the forum? Call me pessimistic but, uh, I'm thinking not (although if derekwilson had added a period after "right" instead of a comma, I might think differently ;)).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">