• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling my own version of a music sheet online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itachi143

Hello, I wanted to know if it is legal to sell my own version of a music sheet online(a file up for download). Do I need any permission from some place or can I just add it to my website? (the music is also public domain)

If there are no copyrights to the song, then you can sell your own arrangements of it. But you can't rearrange, say, the Star Wars theme song and sell your arrangement without licensing, and good luck getting that. What song are you wanting to arrange, how old is it, and how are you so sure it's not public domain? It's funny how many people think that Happy Birthday is free and clear for the public to use in any way when it's actually got a tightly controlled copyright on it.

justalayman

Hello, I wanted to know if it is legal to sell my own version of a music sheet online(a file up for download). Do I need any permission from some place or can I just add it to my website? (the music is also public domain)
even if the song itself is in the public domain, the physical recording (writing) of it might be covered under copyright by the creator. If you transcribe music that is in the public domain, you can do whatever you want to do with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">