• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling online!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arwa

PA
Hi everybody,
If I have a website that sells Auto part over the Internet, and a
customer were to send me money for a particular item, would I now be
obligated to provide the item they want to receive, if I for example I discover later on that I don't carry that item anymore? Why or Why not?

Does it make a difference if I process the credit card or not?

Thank you.

seniorjudge

arwa said:
PA
Hi everybody,
If I have a website that sells Auto part over the Internet, and a
customer were to send me money for a particular item, would I now be
obligated to provide the item they want to receive, if I for example I discover later on that I don't carry that item anymore? Why or Why not?

Does it make a difference if I process the credit card or not?

Thank you.
Collecting money for stuff you don't have is known as theft.

acmb05

If it was legit

Do you have automatic ordering on your site? If so do you also have a disclaimer stating that items may be out of stock and if so you would contact the buyer and give them the option of waiting for that item to restock or refund thier money.

Its fairly simple. Just write the person or call if you have a number. Explain to them that since the placed thier order the item is out of stock and then give him the options of getting a refund or waiting for item to restock.

I run into this sometimes and for the most part customers are fairly good about it. If you already charged the card you can do a chargeback on it and refund the money back to the card. Of course you are going to have to eat the charges from the credit card company.

And from now on take better stock of your inventory.

Last edited:

arwa

Thanks acmb05 for your detailed answer and for being helpful, unlike others who just try to sound smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">