• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a questionable item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DevilZX

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hello, I am not sure if this is the place to ask or not but since it is about selling on the internet I figured I'd try here. Anyway, I was wondering, could legally sell an old spare key I have for a vehicle I no longer own? I want to sell for nostalgia/collectors. If I say that at the end of auction they will win the key to such and such vehicle, is this legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hello, I am not sure if this is the place to ask or not but since it is about selling on the internet I figured I'd try here. Anyway, I was wondering, could legally sell an old spare key I have for a vehicle I no longer own? I want to sell for nostalgia/collectors. If I say that at the end of auction they will win the key to such and such vehicle, is this legal?
Are you asking if it's legal to sell a key for a "1959 collector Rocket Racer" or are you asking if it's ok to sell a key for a "1959 collector Rocket Racer that is parked at 123 main street"?

DevilZX

Lol! Nice example! The parked vehicle example. Its in another state now and I would not disclose where it is located.

Zigner

Lol! Nice example! The parked vehicle example. Its in another state now and I would not disclose where it is located.
I would suggest that the more appropriate thing to do would be to send the key to the new owner of the vehicle...it should have been turned over when you sold the vehicle.

DevilZX

Yes, I had considered this but unfortunately the sale was a number of years ago and I had just happened upon the key now. I lost any information pertaining to the new owner so I really can not contact them. I understand this is the "right" thing to do, but I was asking if there are any legal problems I may encounter if I sell the key online.

Zigner

Yes, I had considered this but unfortunately the sale was a number of years ago and I had just happened upon the key now. I lost any information pertaining to the new owner so I really can not contact them. I understand this is the "right" thing to do, but I was asking if there are any legal problems I may encounter if I sell the key online.
Realistically - probably not...

SnowCajun

Actually there are key collectors out there, and having an antique key, or original classic or muscle car key is a preferable go with to having a third party recut key. Sometimes your old key can be recut to to fit someone elses old classic car, and presto, the owner of a genuine classic car, like your old one, now has an original key.

Unless, as someone said, you're selling the key to a specific car sitting at so and so street number, then keep your key, as with so many other things in life as they become antiques the age does tend to add value, though I doubt a key is going to buy you a mansion!

SnowCajun

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">