• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shipping Error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nervousanxious

California.

Is it a crime to use my shipping acct. to attempt to send a package that did not belong to me from a third party to the person who paid for it?

Through a work UPS acct. I shipped a product to the wrong person. The person who received it who agreed to return it. Through my personal shipping acct. I created a return label from this person to the person and address for which the order had been placed (intent was to pay for the reship myself; afraid of losing my job).The person who received the package changed their mind and wants $100 to send it back.

Am I liable for the cost of the now missing product and did I commit a mail or other crime in the way I attempted to resolve this issue? Item has not shipped and label can be canceled.

las365

You made a mistake at work and then you made a poor decision but you did not commit a crime.

Your best choice now, in my opinion, is to tell your employer what happened and hope for the best. If this is an isolated incident and your are otherwise a good employee, one would hope this would not lead to termination. Unfortunately, to your employer, trying to hide the error may be considered worse than the error itself.

Continuing to try to hide it would only make it even worse. The real buyer will be looking for his item and the truth will come out eventually.

I say tell the truth, sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">