• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold A Car on Craiglist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasselina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE

So I sold a car on craigslist "AS-IS" and he signed the bill of sale saying he understands this. I told him that the car had an issue (which I thought was the problem-- but is related to the transmission) and the car ended up needed an whole new transmission. I told him as far as I knew my mechanic told me that's all it needed. Now hes been harassing me with texts and saying he know my address. I'm afraid he is going to show up at my house one day.

He is saying hes going to take me to court and that is covered under the lemon law. But on the bill of sale I had him sign it says there were not warranties. I was selling the car as is.

I was just wondering if he has a case against me? and if I should be worried.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

So I sold a car on craigslist "AS-IS" and he signed the bill of sale saying he understands this. I told him that the car had an issue (which I thought was the problem-- but is related to the transmission) and the car ended up needed an whole new transmission. I told him as far as I knew my mechanic told me that's all it needed. Now hes been harassing me with texts and saying he know my address. I'm afraid he is going to show up at my house one day.

He is saying hes going to take me to court and that is covered under the lemon law. But on the bill of sale I had him sign it says there were not warranties. I was selling the car as is.

I was just wondering if he has a case against me? and if I should be worried.
He's blowing smoke by telling you the Lemon Law applies: http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/documents/brochures/2013/Lemon%20Law.pdf

Ignore him unless/until something further happens.

quincy

... Now hes been harassing me with texts and saying he know my address. I'm afraid he is going to show up at my house one day ...

... I was just wondering if he has a case against me? and if I should be worried.
If you are afraid, because the harassment continues and especially if the buyer shows up at your house, contact the police.

The buyer should have taken the car in for an inspection to his own mechanic prior to purchase. That he didn't is on him, not you.

xylene

Just for giggles, how much money are we talking?

How much did you sell the car for and how much does he claim you owe?

jasselina

Just for giggles, how much money are we talking?

How much did you sell the car for and how much does he claim you owe?
I only sold it for a thousand dollars.

Hes saying he wants me to give him back $400. Not the whole amount.

quincy

I only sold it for a thousand dollars.

Hes saying he wants me to give him back $400. Not the whole amount.
The buyer is unlikely to take you to court. He does not have any support for a legal action (based on what you have said).

Try not to become intimidated by his harassment and, again, if you start to fear for your safety over any threats he might make to come to your home, contact the police.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">