• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold classic car...2 years later still in my name with liens.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cccknox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

About 2 years ago I sold a classic car to a buyer out of state. The buyer flew into town and after inspection bought the car. He paid cash and I signed the title over to him (it was a Saturday so we could not go to the DMV) and we parted ways. No notary is needed in TN for auto sales.

Turns out the buyer put the car in a storage unit here in town and flew back to his home state. He pre-paid the storage unit for several months until he could ship the car.....He never did.

He is over 6 months behind on the storage unit and will not respond to any calls or emails from the storgae unit. I received a certified letter stating that I was still the legal owner and that a lien has been placed on the vehicle and it can be auctioned off if I don't pay the back rent, fee's, etc and remove the car.

First of all, I sold the car so why should I have any right to getting it back. Because the new owner hasn't registered it in over two years the state (according to this letter) is still considering me the legal owner so does that mean the lien will go against me?

This is a really odd situation, where do I stand in all of this.

At least the car is stored and not being driven or getting tickets since it's still in my name, but what does the law say?

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">