• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold dryer online 4 months ago now buyer is wanting a refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Concon1982

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I sold a working dryer back in November of 2015; we were moving to a new home and had no use for a gas dryer any longer. It worked just fine when we used it in Oakland up until June of 2015 when it was carefully packed and moved to our rental. It sat packed in our garage until the buyer picked it up. I recieved a text message yesterday March 3 2016 almost 4 months later reading:

"This is ... (Name omitted)((city omitted) PD Officer/Detective). I bought your dryer ($250) and you told me to let you know if it didn't work. We garaged it until 4 days ago (Sun.) and then installed it. The lights work and the drum turns, but the heating element is bad. It takes 4+ cycles to dry a load. I spent $600 at Home Depot last night for a new one. What do you suggest we do? "

I was beyond confused. It's been 4 months, the sell was as is and I never once said if it didn't work to call me. Sure had it been a day, a week or even a month after the sale I would of gladly refunded the money but 4 months, no way. I asked for advise from friends and family and they believe it's a scam. So I did not respond. Now today I get another text:

"What do you think is fair/right to do about the dryer situation?"

Now I'm even more frustrated that a person in his position is trying using his title as leverage. Suggestions on how to proceed? Thx!

Concon1982

I'd like to also mention I'm pretty knowledgable on this particular dryer. Since its gas it does not have a heating element it's a ignition cool which cost about $30 to replace. I've never had to replace it on that dryer as it was only 3 years old to begin with.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I sold a working dryer back in November of 2015; we were moving to a new home and had no use for a gas dryer any longer. It worked just fine when we used it in Oakland up until June of 2015 when it was carefully packed and moved to our rental. It sat packed in our garage until the buyer picked it up. I recieved a text message yesterday March 3 2016 almost 4 months later reading:

"This is ... (Name omitted)((city omitted) PD Officer/Detective). I bought your dryer ($250) and you told me to let you know if it didn't work. We garaged it until 4 days ago (Sun.) and then installed it. The lights work and the drum turns, but the heating element is bad. It takes 4+ cycles to dry a load. I spent $600 at Home Depot last night for a new one. What do you suggest we do? "

I was beyond confused. It's been 4 months, the sell was as is and I never once said if it didn't work to call me. Sure had it been a day, a week or even a month after the sale I would of gladly refunded the money but 4 months, no way. I asked for advise from friends and family and they believe it's a scam. So I did not respond. Now today I get another text:

"What do you think is fair/right to do about the dryer situation?"

Now I'm even more frustrated that a person in his position is trying using his title as leverage. Suggestions on how to proceed? Thx!
I would tell the buyer to sue me. Let him/her tell the judge he bought a new dryer rather that spend $150.00 to fix the one he bought from you. ;)

single317dad

Part may cost 30...But the repair tech would cost 100 or more. ;)
Dryer elements are one of the easiest household repairs. They're easy to change because they're expected to fail regularly. My last dryer went through 3 of them in 12 years, and each time I had to remove about a dozen screws to replace it. The hardest part was finding the right part number the first time to match the part on eBay.

The new dryer I replaced it with has 2 screws and a plastic knob securing the element; I can change it in <5 minutes. The part is almost $100 from the dealer but I've already stocked a backup I got for $25.

If you want a dryer repair that's worth paying someone else to do, wait until the felt ring around the drum wears out :)

OHRoadwarrior

Tell him his failure to act for four months alleviated any moral obligation you would have felt had he called the next day with a problem.

jamesbutton

Interesting. I have a relative who is an officer for a big city PD. He tried using his position and rank one time in a car buy, when he had taken possession of the car and subsequently tried to retroactively renegotiate the price. In his case, the seller of the car reported "harassment" to the PD, and they reprimanded him for using his official status in a private matter, internal affairs got involved, and he had a letter in his personnel record for three years. The union could not get the letter pulled.

Aside from that, the claims seem rather extreme. I bought your used dryer, it now does not work, and I bought a replacement for more than 2X what I paid you, and I want to be made whole. Right!

Concon1982

Thank you for the responses. He continued to text me asking me what the fair/right thing to do was about the situation so I had my lawyer call him. My lawyer also advised me to block his number after we saved screenshots of his text messages should he continue to try and contact me. While I don't agree with his methods I don't want to hurt someone's work reputation; I will report him if he continues to make contact.

quincy

... While I don't agree with his methods I don't want to hurt someone's work reputation ...
I have nothing to add to the advice you have already received but I want to thank you for considering the purchaser's reputation. So few seem to do this.

I hope that the purchaser handles your reputation with as much care as you are handling his, and that he will not continue to pester you by pushing for a refund.

Good luck.

Concon1982

So annoyed

I'm so frustrated with this man. He had sent me a text every month to a month in a half, asking to return the dryer, what am I going to do etc., Today, he texts me my new address?

I had a job change so I can no longer use my lawyer to call him, what do I do?

I have nothing to add to the advice you have already received but I want to thank you for considering the purchaser's reputation. So few seem to do this.

I hope that the purchaser handles your reputation with as much care as you are handling his, and that he will not continue to pester you by pushing for a refund.

Good luck.

LdiJ

I'm so frustrated with this man. He had sent me a text every month to a month in a half, asking to return the dryer, what am I going to do etc., Today, he texts me my new address?

I had a job change so I can no longer use my lawyer to call him, what do I do?
He is seriously trying to intimidate you. You can either continue to ignore him or you can report him for harassment to his department. The only way he can have your new address is if he used his police resources to get it, which was totally improper.

Is this a small town situation or a larger community?

Concon1982

I live in Bedford, Texas just west of DFW airport, I wouldn't consider it small town but it's Texas. I assume from his text that he lives and works for Lewisville PD

He is seriously trying to intimidate you. You can either continue to ignore him or you can report him for harassment to his department. The only way he can have your new address is if he used his police resources to get it, which was totally improper.

Is this a small town situation or a larger community?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">