• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was sold an illeal rv

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suehohnhorst62

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California. I was sold a motorhome which was sold illegally.it can't pass smog because the parts are missing or altered.The sellers have been nothing but rude.I never was given the smog cert.or bill of sale, just the title.The rv mechanic told me it was sold to me illegally and could only be sold as parts.I bought it for $4200.00 and have two witnesses to prove that.they never gave me a bill of sale and the ad said road ready, just needing radio hooked up and a metal plate for the ignition.Everything else was advertised as working.What can I do???I can't smog or register it.

Last edited:

LdiJ

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California. I was sold a motorhome which was sold illegally.it can't pass smog because the parts are missing or altered.The sellers have been nothing but rude.I never was given the smog cert.or bill of sale, just the title.The rv mechanic told me it was sold to me illegally and could only be sold as parts.I bought it for $4200.00 and have two witnesses to prove that.they never gave me a bill of sale and the ad said road ready, just needing radio hooked up and a metal plate for the ignition.Everything else was advertised as working.What can I do???I can't smog or register it.
You need to sue them in small claims court.

Silverplum

See here: http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/buy-sell/state-regulations.php

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/faq/faqbuysell

darude

The seller is required to pay for any requirements to make it pass smog or buy it back if it was a CA titled vehicle.
I tend to debate this one. I called the DMV and they told me if I bought a vehicle off the street and it didn't pass smog then I would be SOL:mad:. but they also told me if I bought it off a lot then the dealer has to make sure it passes smog. is there any truth to this:confused::confused:

Silverplum

I tend to debate this one. I called the DMV and they told me if I bought a vehicle off the street and it didn't pass smog then I would be SOL:mad:. but they also told me if I bought it off a lot then the dealer has to make sure it passes smog. is there any truth to this:confused::confused:
All of the legal answers are in the links I posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">