• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold pedal boats on craigslist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazztbone

I sold a pair of pedal boats via craigslist to a guy who says he runs a marina for Christian youth. When he came to pick them up, he noticed that there was water in the hulls. I said yes, they do take on some water and need to be drained after using them for awhile (there is a rubber drain plug on the back.) He paid me $600 and left with the two boats. Later, he texted me and said they are leaking a lot more than he expected,and he wants to return them. I said you knew there was water in them when you took them,but ok, I'll give you a refund. He writes back that he wants me to pay his expenses for travel and his helper (~$150) because I never indicated in the ad that they leaked. I said true, but I told you about it when you came to see them, and you still bought them. I said no way to the added expenses. Then he said they could be repaired for $73 each. I said ok, I'll pay half, since it was for a kids camp. Now he says I either pay the full repair cost ($146) or his travel expenses for picking them up AND returning them. I think since he was aware that they leaked when he picked them up, that I don't have any liability in this matter. Am I correct? Unfortunately, I didn't give him a bill of sale indicating that they were sold as-is, but isn't that generally the case? I thought my offer to split the repair cost was more than fair. Now he's threatening litigation if I don't take one of his offers.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I sold a pair of pedal boats via craigslist to a guy who says he runs a marina for Christian youth. When he came to pick them up, he noticed that there was water in the hulls. I said yes, they do take on some water and need to be drained after using them for awhile (there is a rubber drain plug on the back.) He paid me $600 and left with the two boats. Later, he texted me and said they are leaking a lot more than he expected,and he wants to return them. I said you knew there was water in them when you took them,but ok, I'll give you a refund. He writes back that he wants me to pay his expenses for travel and his helper (~$150) because I never indicated in the ad that they leaked. I said true, but I told you about it when you came to see them, and you still bought them. I said no way to the added expenses. Then he said they could be repaired for $73 each. I said ok, I'll pay half, since it was for a kids camp. Now he says I either pay the full repair cost ($146) or his travel expenses for picking them up AND returning them. I think since he was aware that they leaked when he picked them up, that I don't have any liability in this matter. Am I correct? Unfortunately, I didn't give him a bill of sale indicating that they were sold as-is, but isn't that generally the case? I thought my offer to split the repair cost was more than fair. Now he's threatening litigation if I don't take one of his offers.
What state are you in?

I doubt he's going to litigate over $146

xylene

Tell the guy what creek he's on and where his paddle is.

Rescind your kind offer of a return and owe him nothing

single317dad

The language of your original ad would be helpful. Did you make any guarantees?

So far I agree that this chap is up the proverbial creek without a "pedal".

jazztbone

no guarantee stated

Here's the text of the ad:

We have TWO of these water bikes. They are used, in very good condition. Hulls have some slight scuffing which does not affect their operation. These pedal very smoothly and are quite a bit faster than your typical pedal boat.

Priced to sell at $400 each, or buy both for $700 and I'll include a cart which can be used to move the boats individually.

(Product description from manufacturer follows)

This morning, he texted me and said his guy will return them tomorrow morning and will pickup the $600 "plus transportation costs!" Didn't even ask if tomorrow morning is convenient for me. This guy has a lot of nerve and is very self-righteous - refuses to accept any responsibility.

The language of your original ad would be helpful. Did you make any guarantees?

So far I agree that this chap is up the proverbial creek without a "pedal".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the text of the ad:

We have TWO of these water bikes. They are used, in very good condition. Hulls have some slight scuffing which does not affect their operation. These pedal very smoothly and are quite a bit faster than your typical pedal boat.

Priced to sell at $400 each, or buy both for $700 and I'll include a cart which can be used to move the boats individually.

(Product description from manufacturer follows)

This morning, he texted me and said his guy will return them tomorrow morning and will pickup the $600 "plus transportation costs!" Didn't even ask if tomorrow morning is convenient for me. This guy has a lot of nerve and is very self-righteous - refuses to accept any responsibility.
You are free to tell him that you will not accept the return under those conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">