• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold and shipped item on Ebay. Lost my item and case on questionable issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john.california

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I sold an iPhone on eBay and sent it to the buyer’s listed shipping address in Ohio. The buyer then claimed to live in Colorado. I was ruled against in this case by Ebay because I did not purchase signature confirmation (which they say is required for items more that $250). I do, however, have delivery confirmation and a tracking number that documents the item was delivered by USPS. Ebay refunded the buyer their money and I am now without my phone. Somehow, this doesn’t seem right to me and I’m feeling that I was mislead by the buyer and Ebay wants to wash their hands of the situation.

Proseguru

Was the selling price more than $250?

Did the buyer pay by paypal? Did you ship to their confirmed address?
Well, its clear he did not follow the noticed ebay rule of requiring sig ... if the ebay rule violation is noticed as being cause for a refund then the op is just griping about a term of sale that he agreed to perform.

john.california

Was the selling price more than $250?

Did the buyer pay by paypal? Did you ship to their confirmed address?
Yes, it was for $490. I did ship the phone to the address listed and confirmed by Ebay as the buyer's shipping address.

The buyer paid with Paypal. I received and withdrew the funds. Ebay then ruled against me and charged my Paypal credit card account for $490 which was "refunded" to the buyer.

I agree with the other post that I did not obtain the required signature confirmation. This would seem like it would be an issue if the buyer had listed the correct shipping address
and perhaps the item was delivered and stolen at their doorstep, etc. However, the buyer themselves listed an incorrect shipping address in a different state (confirmed and not disputed by Ebay).
Also, assuming I did get signature confirmation, the item still would have been delivered to the buyer's listed address (where they claim not to live) and things would not be any different.

Thanks for the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">