• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiger69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I recently moved from SC to Alabama I sold my truck to a guy three weeks ago that had a salvage title. He knew it was a salvage title and he called yesterday saying that I had to give him his money back because he couldn't register the truck in the state of Alabama. What do I have to do I have already bought me another vehicle?

swalsh411

As long as you can show that he was aware of the salvage title when he agreed to buy it then you don't have to refund him. It's the buyers responsibility to research applicable title requirements, not the sellers.

Also I highly doubt he cannot register the vehicle. He may have to jump though some more hoops but it can be done. People register salvage title vehicles all the time.

tiger69

I don't have any proof other than word of mouth between us. I would like to just gi e hos money back and get the truck back but its been three weeks and I have already bought another vehicle.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I recently moved from SC to Alabama I sold my truck to a guy three weeks ago that had a salvage title. He knew it was a salvage title and he called yesterday saying that I had to give him his money back because he couldn't register the truck in the state of Alabama. What do I have to do I have already bought me another vehicle?
Sounds to me like your buyer has an issue, and they want to try to blame you for it.

Some states will allow an owner to register a vehicle with a salvage title and drive it, and some will not. Alabama appears to be one that will not.

The buyer has two options to consider for their salvaged vehicle:
  • They can sell it for parts or to be restored
  • They can rebuild it themselves (with a properly issued rebuilder's license), obtain a rebuilt title, and drive it legally once again

It's not your fault that your buyer wasn't aware of the legal requirements for salvaged vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">