• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone threatening a police report of 165 virtual sale from 2014

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlabruno

Pennsylvania (only U.S. law)?

Hello, I live in PA/NJ and this person lives in North Carolina I believe. Try to sum this up. I play a virtual game called world of Warcraft. This guy claims in 2014 I sold him my account for $165 and then took the account back by telling the gaming company my account was hacked. Now I have many accounts for that game and have sold some from time to time. So its quite possible I did take back the wrong account but I would not have known as he never contacted me in 2014 about this. So today I went to sell my last account and leave the game for good and went to his same site of the guy who buys them. He flipped out on me and said he is filing a police report on my for fraud. Can he actually do that from something in 2014 and how would the police handle it if he lives in North Carolina and me PA? Cause I have offered to try and get to the bottom of this with him through emails but he has not responded. I don't want any law trouble cause honestly if he is right and I took back the wrong account it was not intentional .

quincy

Pennsylvania (only U.S. law)?

Hello, I live in PA/NJ and this person lives in North Carolina I believe. Try to sum this up. I play a virtual game called world of Warcraft. This guy claims in 2014 I sold him my account for $165 and then took the account back by telling the gaming company my account was hacked. Now I have many accounts for that game and have sold some from time to time. So its quite possible I did take back the wrong account but I would not have known as he never contacted me in 2014 about this. So today I went to sell my last account and leave the game for good and went to his same site of the guy who buys them. He flipped out on me and said he is filing a police report on my for fraud. Can he actually do that from something in 2014 and how would the police handle it if he lives in North Carolina and me PA? Cause I have offered to try and get to the bottom of this with him through emails but he has not responded. I don't want any law trouble cause honestly if he is right and I took back the wrong account it was not intentional .
Did you ever tell the gaming company your account was hacked?

jlabruno

Did you ever tell the gaming company your account was hacked?
Yes I have many accounts I did not realize the one I took back was the one of the ones I sold. I mean he never contacted me then to even say I did. What can he honestly do, If he fills out a police report in North Carolina I live in PA what will happen? I have sent SEVERAL emails asking him to show me a receipt or proof of purchase and if he could I would work it out so he gets his money back but he wont respond.

quincy

Yes I have many accounts I did not realize the one I took back was the one of the ones I sold. I mean he never contacted me then to even say I did. What can he honestly do, If he fills out a police report in North Carolina I live in PA what will happen? I have sent SEVERAL emails asking him to show me a receipt or proof of purchase and if he could I would work it out so he gets his money back but he wont respond.
I personally would do nothing more than what you have already done.

You have let the fellow know that you are willing to "right the wrong" if he can provide you with a proof of purchase.

I doubt he will file any report with the police or take any legal action. At this point, two years after the fact, little is apt to be done by the police other than take a report. If you hear from the police or you receive a summons and complaint indicating you are being sued, you can worry about it all then.

jlabruno

I personally would do nothing more than what you have already done.

You have let the fellow know that you are willing to "right the wrong" if he can provide you with a proof of purchase.

I doubt he will file any report with the police or take any legal action. At this point, two years after the fact, little is apt to be done by the police other than take a report. If you hear from the police or you receive a summons and complaint indicating you are being sued, you can worry about it all then.
Oh cause someone led me to believe that he could file report saying I commited fraud they would call pa and have police come to my house cause fraud for 165$ is serious felony

quincy

Oh cause someone led me to believe that he could file report saying I commited fraud they would call pa and have police come to my house cause fraud for 165$ is serious felony
Interesting. Who is the "someone" who led you to believe the police would come to your house over this?

quincy

Someone on another non lawyer site.
I read a lot of garbage on other sites. ;)

I just worry by nature if someone threatens me.
It is natural to worry when someone threatens you. And some threats need to be taken seriously.

However, there does not seem to be reason for you to worry about police action or a lawsuit, at least based on what you have said in your posts.

If the situation changes (or if worry starts to eat you up), you can consult with an attorney in your area to see what s/he says. But I do not see that you are at the point yet where seeing an attorney is necessary, and I do not see the situation getting to that point. I could be wrong.

Good luck.

jlabruno

He wrote me back and seems he is hell bent on trying to make an example of me and I don't know what to do? Below is what he wrote to me tonight

No one has asked you for anything at all, nor will we. This is a very basic case of someone reporting an account stolen that they had previously sold. We already provided the original payment information issued to you in March of 2014. Everyone, including us, keeps really good records these days.
We'll refund the victim who purchased your account and prosecute you to the best of our ability. As the owner of this site I detest doing this sort of thing to young men who haven't yet realized that there are consequences for their actions and it's great to have someone volunteer to have an example made of themselves.

I'm sorry if you can prove it, but if not then well, I'm not sorry.

quincy

He wrote me back and seems he is hell bent on trying to make an example of me and I don't know what to do? Below is what he wrote to me tonight

No one has asked you for anything at all, nor will we. This is a very basic case of someone reporting an account stolen that they had previously sold. We already provided the original payment information issued to you in March of 2014. Everyone, including us, keeps really good records these days.
We'll refund the victim who purchased your account and prosecute you to the best of our ability. As the owner of this site I detest doing this sort of thing to young men who haven't yet realized that there are consequences for their actions and it's great to have someone volunteer to have an example made of themselves.

I'm sorry if you can prove it, but if not then well, I'm not sorry.
If you are concerned, speak to an attorney in your area.

The only one who can "prosecute you" is a prosecutor. All that the fellow who is complaining and the site owner can do is file a complaint.

jlabruno

If you are concerned, speak to an attorney in your area.

The only one who can "prosecute you" is a prosecutor. All that the fellow who is complaining and the site owner can do is file a complaint.

Do you feel this is something a prosecutor would do over $165? And if so will the North Carolina prosecutor call PA and have me arrested over $165? Do the courts not prefer if I am willing to make it right to let me even if that owner of the company does not want to do it that way? Specially with such a small amount? Cause I want to make it right if I did indeed make the mistake he don't.

And I cant afford a lawyer.

I cant even understand what I could be charged with? Fraud, theft? and in what state? where he lives? where I lived in 2014. So confusing.

Last edited:

quincy

Do you feel this is something a prosecutor would do over $165? And if so will the North Carolina prosecutor call PA and have me arrested over $165? Do the courts not prefer if I am willing to make it right to let me even if that owner of the company does not want to do it that way? Specially with such a small amount? Cause I want to make it right if I did indeed make the mistake he don't.

And I cant afford a lawyer.
I already told you what I thought. :)

No, I do not think the police in Pennsylvania will come knocking on your door over a $165 item sold to someone in North Carolina in 2014. If the police DO visit you, that would be the time to speak to an attorney in your area.

That said, if you are going to make yourself sick with worry, speak to an attorney in your area now. It should not cost you much for a brief consultation.

Good luck.

jlabruno

I already told you what I thought. :)

No, I do not think the police in Pennsylvania will come knocking on your door over a $165 item sold to someone in North Carolina in 2014. If the police DO visit you, that would be the time to speak to an attorney in your area.

That said, if you are going to make yourself sick with worry, speak to an attorney in your area now. It should not cost you much for a brief consultation.

Good luck.

Yeah I understand. I am not going to spend anymore time replying to him either. He seems to want to goat me into saying things or call me out so I am going to ignore him and he can do what he needs to do.

quincy

Yeah I understand. I am not going to spend anymore time replying to him either. He seems to want to goat me into saying things or call me out so I am going to ignore him and he can do what he needs to do.
If the guy in North Carolina cannot provide you with any proof that he purchased one of the accounts that you took back, doing nothing is what I would do. I think it is smart to not say anything more to the guy, at any rate.

If you are uncomfortable with this no-action action, seeing an attorney in your area for advice always remains an option.

Good luck.

single317dad

Very late to this thread, but for reference:

It is not legal to sell your account for most online games. If you read your ToS thoroughly, you'll see that the account is the property of Blizzard (or other game publisher in other cases), and they can and will revoke access upon learning it has been sold or made available for sale. Selling accounts in the modern age is quite possible, but not recommended as these kinds of scenarios come up quite often.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">