• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sports memorabilia online order issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tylerwitte1991

Favorite baseball player died, I ordered a piece of signed memorabilia through MLBshop.com less than an hour after the news broke knowing that I'd never be able to afford anything after the prices skyrocketed. That was Sunday, I paid $255. It specifically said they had it in stock. "Limited edition of 16, a few left." 5 days later they send me an email saying they can't fulfill my order. The item comes from a partner memorabilia dealer directly. Considering that the item is worth 5-10x what I paid for it now that the player has passed, I find it very likely that they chose not to fill the order so that they wouldn't miss out on extra profit. Are there any legal issues or is it just a case of legally running your business like an A-hole?

quincy

Favorite baseball player died, I ordered a piece of signed memorabilia through MLBshop.com less than an hour after the news broke knowing that I'd never be able to afford anything after the prices skyrocketed. That was Sunday, I paid $255. It specifically said they had it in stock. "Limited edition of 16, a few left." 5 days later they send me an email saying they can't fulfill my order. The item comes from a partner memorabilia dealer directly. Considering that the item is worth 5-10x what I paid for it now that the player has passed, I find it very likely that they chose not to fill the order so that they wouldn't miss out on extra profit. Are there any legal issues or is it just a case of legally running your business like an A-hole?
What is the name of your state, Tylerwitte1991?

It appears you were too late. Others probably had placed orders for the limited edition signed memorabilia before you placed your order. It happens.

I see no legal issue. I do not see this as a case of the business being run poorly. The trick has always been to purchase sports memorabilia before a famous player dies, not after, when everyone is looking to purchase items.

Tylerwitte1991

Yeah I understand that, you just don't expect a player to die at 24 so I figured I had time to get the autograph. Also, I'm pretty sure the MLBshop.com system automatically updates when they're out of stock because I ordered something else from there that was listed as the last one left and after my order it was out of stock, but that was filled. Of course that player is still alive so they didn't feel like they would be losing money by filling it. I completely understand the business side of wanting max profit, but they're a HUGE business so that extra $1000 that's a week's pay for me is like a nickel to them. Oh well.

quincy

Yeah I understand that, you just don't expect a player to die at 24 so I figured I had time to get the autograph. Also, I'm pretty sure the MLBshop.com system automatically updates when they're out of stock because I ordered something else from there that was listed as the last one left and after my order it was out of stock, but that was filled. Of course that player is still alive so they didn't feel like they would be losing money by filling it. I completely understand the business side of wanting max profit, but they're a HUGE business so that extra $1000 that's a week's pay for me is like a nickel to them. Oh well.
I imagine several people had the same thought that you did when the player died. You tried to purchase the memorabilia at a low price to sell high. The company probably had several orders placed and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Whatever the case, I do not see any legal action you can take. Sorry.

STEPHAN

Look at their terms and conditions. I would be very surprised if they did not have a clause that they need to accept your order (offer to buy) first.

quincy

Here is a link to the MLB shop's Terms of Use where you can see, under Number 7's Products, Content and Specifications, that the MLB shop offers no guarantee as to availability of any product offered for sale.

http://help-mlb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/748

Again, there is really no legal action you can take. I am sorry you missed out on purchasing the item you wanted to purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">