• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sports Memorabilia Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lng8106

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - NV

I purchased a piece of sports memorabilia several years ago from the husband of a famous racer. They were married at the time, she signed the item for me, and I paid $175. Due to a hardship I recently decided to put the item up for sale. I was contacted by the racer and told it would be in my best interest to end the sale as I have no right to make money off something that was once hers. She stated if I do not then she will file a police report that the item was stolen and report me to the selling site. Once I removed the sale she said the case was closed. She and her husband are now divorced and she is stating he had no right to sell the item to me. Can she legally stop me from selling the item?

tranquility

You can sell it, she can claim it stolen.

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. Can she lie? Yes. Would that stop a sale? Yes, it might even get you arrested.

lng8106

I do understand she can lie but I can show proof where money was exchanged for the sale of the item. What I am wondering is can she legally stop the sale? Such as taking me to court etc.

antrc170

If you can show that you legally own the item, then you can sell it. If she reports it stolen, then she can face criminal charges for filing a false police report.

Send a letter stating that you intend to sell the item, that you have proof that it is legally in your possession and any attempts to discredit your reputation with any third party seller will be met with a lawsuit for defamation.

If she does report it stolen, provide the police with a copy of your proof of ownership and request that she be investigated for filing a false report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">