• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Steam Online - No Refunds for faulty software AT ALL!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimmyWA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have purchased over 40 games from Steam.

A few days ago I purchased a new flight sim, only to find it wouldn’t work, despite me having the right hardware and software – all my other 40 or so, high end games and simulators work, including a similar version of this one.
I decided I wasn’t going to waste lot’s of time trying to get it to work (like I realised I’d done with this company before).
I contacted Steam and told them the game was faulty, wouldn’t run on my system, provided them with screen shots to prove that, one, it wouldn’t even register – kept telling me that the game’s servers were down, and also a screen shot of the game crashing – at the registration stage. I removed the game from my library and asked for a refund.
Steam wrote back and told me they didn’t handle support, and to contact the supplier.
I wrote back and told them that I wanted a refund, and didn’t want to waste my time trying to get something to work when it should work first time. They sold it, they should be responsible for it
They wrote back and again told me to contact the game supplier.
I raised a paypal dispute (based of the game not working). Steam then told me that if paypal refunded me the money, “steam” would freeze my account!
They told me that if I dropped the paypal dispute, my account wouldn’t be frozen! Seems to me to be blackmail, and the consumer has no rights at all!
Under Washington law (what the company operates under), are they allowed to do this? If not, where can I complain?
Why should the User have to pay for the software, and then help fix it so it runs on a standard system (all the other 40 or so titles, and sophisticated sims run on my high end PC and this is the first time I've asked for a refund.)

Thanks in advance,

James

PS. here is a copy of a section from their online policy (seems a little one sided to me!):

3. BILLING, PAYMENT AND OTHER SUBSCRIPTIONS

ALL CHARGES INCURRED ON STEAM, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITH THE STEAM WALLET, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT. (Apart from the following paragraph, there is not other mention of refund/payment in any other section)

IF YOU ARE AN EU SUBSCRIBER YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A PURCHASE TRANSACTION FOR DIGITAL CONTENT WITHOUT CHARGE AND WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON UNTIL DELIVERY OF SUCH CONTENT HAS STARTED OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A TRANSACTION OR OBTAIN A REFUND ONCE DELIVERY OF THE CONTENT HAS STARTED OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED, AT WHICH POINT YOUR TRANSACTION IS FINAL. YOU AGREE THAT DELIVERY OF DIGITAL CONTENT, AND THE ASSOCIATED SUBSCRIPTION, AND/OR PERFORMANCE OF THE ASSOCIATED SERVICE, COMMENCES AT THE MOMENT THE DIGITAL CONTENT IS ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT OR INVENTORY OR OTHERWISE MADE ACCESSIBLE TO YOU FOR DOWNLOAD OR USE. (Sounds good, but as soon as the software has started downloading - which is done after purchase - you can't claim a refund!)

OHRoadwarrior

If you do not like their terms, buy your software outright. If it is any consolation my daughter just bought a game there because she lost the code for her disk. She did not verify her expansion packs would work and after wasting money buying the game and an upgrade, came to dad who asked her why she did not just google the disk sku and buy another one. Fixed the problem. I guess dad isn't so dumb after all.

Proserpina

A few days ago I purchased a new flight sim, only to find it wouldn’t work, despite me having the right hardware and software – all my other 40 or so, high end games and simulators work, including a similar version of this one.
I decided I wasn’t going to waste lot’s of time trying to get it to work (like I realised I’d done with this company before).
I contacted Steam and told them the game was faulty, wouldn’t run on my system, provided them with screen shots to prove that, one, it wouldn’t even register – kept telling me that the game’s servers were down, and also a screen shot of the game crashing – at the registration stage. I removed the game from my library and asked for a refund.
Steam wrote back and told me they didn’t handle support, and to contact the supplier.
I wrote back and told them that I wanted a refund, and didn’t want to waste my time trying to get something to work when it should work first time. They sold it, they should be responsible for it
I raised a paypal dispute (based of the game not working). Steam then told me that if paypal refunded me the money, “steam” would freeze my account!
They told me that if I dropped the paypal dispute, my account wouldn’t be frozen! Seems to me to be blackmail, and the consumer has no rights at all!
Under Washington law (what the company operates under), are they allowed to do this? If not, where can I complain?
Why should the User have to pay for the software, and then help fix it so it runs on a standard system (all the other 40 or so titles, and sophisticated sims run on my high end PC and this is the first time I've asked for a refund.)

Thanks in advance,

James

PS. here is a copy of a section from their online policy (seems a little one sided to me!):

ALL CHARGES INCURRED ON STEAM, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITH THE STEAM WALLET, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT. (Apart from the following paragraph, there is not other mention of refund/payment in any other section)

IF YOU ARE AN EU SUBSCRIBER YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A PURCHASE TRANSACTION FOR DIGITAL CONTENT WITHOUT CHARGE AND WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON UNTIL DELIVERY OF SUCH CONTENT HAS STARTED OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A TRANSACTION OR OBTAIN A REFUND ONCE DELIVERY OF THE CONTENT HAS STARTED OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED, AT WHICH POINT YOUR TRANSACTION IS FINAL. YOU AGREE THAT DELIVERY OF DIGITAL CONTENT, AND THE ASSOCIATED SUBSCRIPTION, AND/OR PERFORMANCE OF THE ASSOCIATED SERVICE, COMMENCES AT THE MOMENT THE DIGITAL CONTENT IS ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT OR INVENTORY OR OTHERWISE MADE ACCESSIBLE TO YOU FOR DOWNLOAD OR USE. (Sounds good, but as soon as the software has started downloading - which is done after purchase - you can't claim a refund!)

Yes, they can operate under their own rules. I'm sure you've read Steam's admittedly vague terms and conditions, right? It's fairly common knowledge that opening a complaint against Steam will automatically lock your account.

Is it fair? Not really, no.

Is it legal? Yes it is.

You agreed to their terms and unfortunately for you, they've pretty much covered their backsides in terms of lawsuits.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thanks in advance,

James

So did you contact the game developer/supplier? :cool:

delfinom

I claim to say you probably bought Airport Simulator 2014 which is KNOWN to be absolute garbage and buggy and broken. You should have done research before buying.

It's also not a flight simulator. It's a airport simulator and for some reason people have assumed you can fly planes.

Last edited by a moderator:

swalsh411

Software especially games have always been like this. Back in the day if you bought a game from Babbages or EB Games and hated it or it didn't work, you could maybe go back and get store credit. I'm not trying to say you haven't been wronged, but in the grand scheme of things, Steam is great for gamers because it provides a single platform for purchases, and if you watch for sales you can get some incredible deals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">