• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaymelee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I stupidly gave a man $600, thinking he was taking it to buy me a car from a repo auction. Now he has disappeared with my money. I have his name, email, and phone number. Is there any way i can legally get this money back?

Antigone*

I stupidly gave a man $600, thinking he was taking it to buy me a car from a repo auction. Now he has disappeared with my money. I have his name, email, and phone number. Is there any way i can legally get this money back?
Sue the bad guy in small claims court.

sandyclaus

Sue the bad guy in small claims court.
x2...

By the way, you would need to file suit where HE lives. And I'm sure that his name and phone number are probably fake, so good luck tracking him down and finding out where he lives.

Then there is the matter of actually SERVING him with notice of the suit, and, well, if you're having this much trouble now, just imagine it will be like if you sue him...:eek::eek::eek:

Be smarter next time, and don't be handing over cash to someone you don't know that you aren't willing to kiss goodbye as soon as it leaves your own hands.

HomeGuru

**A: can you spend $1000 for an attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">