• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing ebay in NY for false advertising

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gilteva

I am in NY and I want to sue eBay for false advertising.
I paid for a house eBay advertised, and the company that advertised the ad sold it to many other people before me.
They sent me a deed signed by a notary, but they did it to many other people.
Many people think that they own the same house.
I sent all the information to eBay many times but they still continue this ad, taking $300 a month for it.
I found that the law says that even that they write that they are not responsible, that fact that they knew that it is false adverting is against them.
Since they did not delete the ad after I complained, it is likely that this is a normal behavior for them. The do not delete false advertising ads. That teaches that they knew before I saw the ad that it is false advertising.
Since they knew that it is false advertising but did not remove the ad, they are responsible for my loss and I can sue them.
They should have deleted this member and the ad, but they prefer to get $300 a month.
I need to find an address in NY of eBay to sue them? You have the address?
If there is an attorney in this field and he/she wants to make a big law case against eBay, I am interested.
I collected information about tens of houses that the company sold to multiple buyers, and they continue to use eBay as a good criminal platform.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you want to sue eBay, you have to do so in California. :cool:

But your quibble is NOT with eBay (which is a venue), but with the entity that supposedly 'owns' this 'house'.

No attorney worth having is going to troll Intraweb forums for clients.

FlyingRon

eBay is not the advertiser. They're just the advertising medium in this case. It's like suing MLS or the newspaper. They don't have any editorial responsibility (in fact they specifically craft things to NOT establish that responsibility).

You'd have to sue the person who are committing the fraud. Ebay will roll over when contacted by the police or through proper legal channels (subpoena, etc...).

eBay is also specifically not even a venue for real estate sales. They are nothing more than the advertising medium. The "auctions" there mean squat. The statute of frauds precludes them from being binding. The only reason you and the other suckers fell for this is that you didn't do even the tiniest shred of due diligence on the sale (and frankly, I wouldn't even take gifted property from my sainted aunt without a title search and owner's title insurance). Real estate is not sold through the mail. A NOTARY doesn't mean squat about the validity of the transaction. All it does is attest that the signature was made by the person who it says it is (and even then, it's pretty darned easy to trick if you're a criminal).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">