• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing over Craigslist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennyfer21

I live in Florida
I was selling a dog on CL and for $100 you got her all her food, bowls, and leashes. He came over with his dog and we spent maybe an hour together playing with the animals and talking about her. He asked if she was house trained and I told him yes. The only time that we had problems with her was when she was really young and when we had first bought her because she was trying to get used to the times that we were taking her out. He then asked if she had her shots etc. I said that she had but I would have to email the person that I got her from because I didn't have them. He then asked what she was mixed with and I told him that it was a Rottweiler because it's true. Her sister shows that perfectly. He is now emailing me telling me that I lied about all this and she is really mixed with a pittbull (but has not taken her to the vet to verify). He also emailed me and said that he wants the $100 back or he is prepared to take me to small claims court. I don't have the money anymore and I don't want the dog back. I sold her because I can't take good enough care of her. He said that he was going to sue me for court costs, cleaning supplies, food, dishes, a professional cleaning company, and flea medication. I offered his wife both dishes and food.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Tell him your business is done, to stop contacting you, and that you will see him in court. Then block his email address. If he continues to harass you report it to the police.

divona2000

...I was selling a dog on CL and for $100...I sold her because I can't take good enough care of her...
You are aware that the craigslist Terms Of Use prohibit what you did, right?

"...a list of some of the types of prohibited and restricted items the advertisement for sale, offer, or exchange of which is not permitted on craigslist. Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:
Household pets of any kind including dogs..."

Jennyfer21

You are aware that the craigslist Terms Of Use prohibit what you did, right?

"...a list of some of the types of prohibited and restricted items the advertisement for sale, offer, or exchange of which is not permitted on craigslist. Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:
Household pets of any kind including dogs..."
But I am allowed to ask for a rehoming fee. Which I ment to state in the above post but apparently I didn't.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, it's possible. EXTREMELY unlikely and, heck, I don't think this would ever even GO to court.

Jennyfer21

I mean hes suing me because the dog peed in his house..... I told him that she was potty trained because, with me, she is. I've never had a single problem with her. He says that he has and he wants me to pay for a cleaning service. If it's that bad just put the dog outside or get rid of her. I don't understand why he thinks that he has to sue me. His last message to me said "You don't know who you are dealing with. I know everybody. You are going to owe me over $500 now." ......I'm at a loss when it comes to this guy.

Proserpina

I mean hes suing me because the dog peed in his house.....

(I'm not laughing at you Jennyfer, k?). This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in ages. What's he going to do if he has kids? Shove them back in if they have an accident?! Demand a sperm recount?

I told him that she was potty trained because, with me, she is. I've never had a single problem with her. He says that he has and he wants me to pay for a cleaning service. If it's that bad just put the dog outside or get rid of her. I don't understand why he thinks that he has to sue me. His last message to me said "You don't know who you are dealing with. I know everybody. You are going to owe me over $500 now." ......I'm at a loss when it comes to this guy.

Stop answering his calls/texts. Stop contact. Period.

Yes, he could win in court but it's so incredibly unlikely....

Jennyfer21

(I'm not laughing at you Jennyfer, k?). This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in ages. What's he going to do if he has kids? Shove them back in if they have an accident?! Demand a sperm recount?

Stop answering his calls/texts. Stop contact. Period.

Yes, he could win in court but it's so incredibly unlikely....
I don't think you are laughing at me! I've called and talked to a couple lawyers today and they all have laughed! My cousin is a law professor at Harvard (13 years now) and he told me to inform him that I am done talking to him and that if it has to be like this I will see him in court.

I honestly can't afford to have him win. I'm a college kid struggling as it is. I'm 18 years old. Does he not see that I can't afford this? I told him that I had already spent the $100 that he gave me on bills and he told me that he would be seeing me in court.

P.S. He does have kids. At least one! He brought his son over to meet the dog!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is blowing smoke. Just stop worrying about it. Ignore the guy. If you receive some sort of legal notice, then you can start thinking about it.

I would offer to take the dog & stuff back but w/o the 100 bucks.

Its a ruff situation but if the other party is a pain, this is one way to resolve it.

Otherwise, the new owner may just have the dog put down.

Up to you .. you can tell the to pound the silicone dioxide ...

OHRoadwarrior

It is normal for an animal displaced to not adhere to paper/outside training. It is proper procedure to acclimate the animal into a new home, by restricting it to one room temporarily, then allowing it home wide access. Tell him to pound sand. It is not your fault he turned the dog loose improperly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">