• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

third party pickup for "shop online, pickup in store"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevinweng99

What is the name of your state? CA

A number of big name retailers such as Sears, Best Buy and Circuit City allow you to buy online and pick up in-store. But the general rule about pickup is only the buyer him/herself can pickup because usually the retailer requires:

- A state-issued photo ID or driver's license
- The purchasing credit card

I am working on a delivery business that provides third party pickup and delivery service for busy customers who don't want to go to the store. These customers buy online from bestbuy.com and choose in-store pickup. Then they turn to us for pickup. I have an order release authorization form that user can specify the last 4 digits of the purchasing credit card and the dollar amount of the order. By filling out this confidential information the user authorize the retailer to release the order to my employee so retailer has no further liability. Anything happens after that my business will take care of it. Lots of my customers have no problem signing this form.

But the problem is the retailer store might not honor this order release authorization form. Does the retailer has the right NOT to fulfill such authorization? In another word, since the buyer already pay for the item, he should have the complete control on how he want the order to be handled. If the retailer refuse to release the order, how can I challenge their rule legally?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin

moburkes

Absolutely, they have that right. And, why would it be less expensive for you to pick it up at the store VS having the item shipped directly to the buyer? Are you only offering this for heavy items?

mb94

When you order the item online for store pickup you agree to the conditions about who is allowed to pick it up. So the store does not have to accept any contract that they are not a party to.

A way around this would be to order the items with your credit card and in your name and the customer would pay you directly for the items and the delivery charge.

Kevinweng99

ok thanks for the answer. As to the question:
Absolutely, they have that right. And, why would it be less expensive for you to pick it up at the store VS having the item shipped directly to the buyer? Are you only offering this for heavy items?
When retailers ship the order, they ship it from the central warehouse, not from the store. Therefore delivery from store can be faster and less expensive.

Kevinweng99

When you order the item online for store pickup you agree to the conditions about who is allowed to pick it up. So the store does not have to accept any contract that they are not a party to.

A way around this would be to order the items with your credit card and in your name and the customer would pay you directly for the items and the delivery charge.
That is helpful. I've been thinking about this work around but it has other problems. I will keep working on it.

moburkes

ok thanks for the answer. As to the question:

When retailers ship the order, they ship it from the central warehouse, not from the store. Therefore delivery from store can be faster and less expensive.
CAN BE. For example, I ship to store often. But, I buy smaller items. If I had it shipped to my house, it would only cost $6.95. If you charged more than $6.95, which you should, because, from pick up to delivery, it will take at least 20 minutes, plus gas, plus your time, you haven't made anything.

Kevinweng99

CAN BE. For example, I ship to store often. But, I buy smaller items. If I had it shipped to my house, it would only cost $6.95. If you charged more than $6.95, which you should, because, from pick up to delivery, it will take at least 20 minutes, plus gas, plus your time, you haven't made anything.
When you do multiple orders devlierey in one trip within a small area, the cost is reduced dramatically. Even at the same $6.95 or less, there is room for profit. We are getting to the not so "secret source" of the business but excuse me not to discuss it further.

moburkes

When you do multiple orders devlierey in one trip within a small area, the cost is reduced dramatically. Even at the same $6.95 or less, there is room for profit. We are getting to the not so "secret source" of the business but excuse me not to discuss it further.
I completely understand mutiple deliveries in 1 trip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">