• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threaten to Report Me to Police? Craiglist Seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derykey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok, So this guy has been going back and forth to me saying that i provided a warranty, WHICH was only Verbal, Not Written, Verbal He has told me several times im going to get the police involved, and so far, haven't heard anything back from him,

Back on Feb 14th 2016 This guy bought my computer off me for $160 Showed it was fully working, (Pics I do have that are working) And he tells me that it no longer works and wants a refund, He has replaced one item off (CPU) Not anything else... Does this mean, im at fault or he is at fault? Really Could Use Some Advice on what i should do...

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok, So this guy has been going back and forth to me saying that i provided a warranty, WHICH was only Verbal, Not Written, Verbal He has told me several times im going to get the police involved, and so far, haven't heard anything back from him,

Back on Feb 14th 2016 This guy bought my computer off me for $160 Showed it was fully working, (Pics I do have that are working) And he tells me that it no longer works and wants a refund, He has replaced one item off (CPU) Not anything else... Does this mean, im at fault or he is at fault? Really Could Use Some Advice on what i should do...
If you provided a warranty (written or oral), why wouldn't you honor it?

This is a contractual matter between you and the purchaser and not a matter for the police. The purchaser is essentially claiming you breached an oral contract.

Derykey

If you provided a warranty (written or oral), why wouldn't you honor it?

This is a contractual matter between you and the purchaser and not a matter for the police. The purchaser is essentially claiming you breached an oral contract.
He said, He is a Computer Technician, He works for a Company.

quincy

He said, He is a Computer Technician, He works for a Company.
Okay ...

Depending on the terms of your agreement with the purchaser, any warranty you might have offered could have been voided by the purchaser's own work on the computer.

If you haven't heard back from him, I would do nothing but wait to see what happens. A $160 purchase is generally not going to be worth the time or trouble of pursuing in court.

Derykey

Okay ...

Depending on the terms of your agreement with the purchaser, any warranty you might have offered could have been voided by the purchaser's own work on the computer.

If you haven't heard back from him, I would do nothing but wait to see what happens. A $160 purchase is generally not going to be worth the time or trouble of pursuing in court.
Like said, He Changed the CPU, And it didnt work, then he Changed Back, It Didn't Work Either, Which is now Not my Fault. Correct?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
He replaced the cpu - that's, like, the brains of the computer, isn't it? How do you know that he didn't mess that up, or that the "new" cpu isn't faulty?

You can refund him if he wants to return it. Preferably with the original cpu.

Don't know what he expects to report to the police - his gripe is a civil matter, something for small claims court.

quincy

Like said, He Changed the CPU, And it didnt work, then he Changed Back, It Didn't Work Either, Which is now Not my Fault. Correct?
I would wait to see what the fellow decides to do but, if the guy inspected the computer and saw it was working at the time of purchase, and then he messed with the computer, I do not see how you could be held at fault. That said, a lot depends on what your agreement was with the purchaser.

OHRoadwarrior

Changing the CPU would also have changed settings in the computer so the original CPU will not work again either. I cannot see any way you are liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">