• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

title with a lien...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vincentchiche

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

Hello there,

I just bought a scooter from a guy last monday, very nice person. Everything was fine, paid for the price he was asking 2550$.

He gave me the title and the deal was done.

I went to register the vehicle at the DMV when they told me there was a lien with a bank and that I could not do anything before having a lien release letter.

Obvioulsly I feel stupid not to have seen that on the title but that was the first time I've ever seen one in my life (Im europeen by the way)

Anyway, obviously cant get in touch with the seller, who I know for a fact that he's leaving the country to china for work and for good.

I then contacted the bank which cant give me any information regading the lien unless the seller is contacting them....what a mess!!!

So as I understand the situation I paid for a scooter that the bank can claim anytime right?

What are my options right now, knowing that he's probably leaving by next week ?
If I want to take him to court quickly before he's leaving is there a way to stop him from leaving the country? and what do I have to do to take him to court?
Obviously I dont want to get physical to get my money back, what can I do?

Thanks for your time

vincent

seniorjudge

Tell the bank you have the money and ask them how much they need.

Then send it to them.

Tell them also you now own it and that you have the title.

Thend send them copies (back and front) of the title; send it along with the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">