• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trading Virtual "Goods" - Runescape Legality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logang11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Last August, I went "against the rules" and sold a runescape account to pay for text books. However, 2 months after payment ($20), I received notification from Jagex (tm) That the account was involved in trading virtual goods and that they were going to threaten a class action law suit. In order to meet their request to control the accounts actions, I immediately recovered it and spoke with a representative from the account selling company, telling them that I recovered it due to Jagex's request to halt the actions.

I returned the username and password to the company, asking that they return it to the buyer, however, they told me that it wasn't necessary because the account wasn't even in their system (Strange, because I made the sale months prior).
--Fast forward from November to Jan/Feb (I didn't change the username or password in case the site wanted the acc back still)--

I tried to sell it again (Yes, I know it's against the rules), to pay for textbooks. They agreed on a $50 payment, that would be paid within 14days if the accounts sells, OR, when the account sells anytime AFTER 14days. Within the first 2 weeks, the account was sold, still no payment. I was told that because of "security issues, I would have to wait another 14 days." 14 days came, and I was told to wait another 14 days (This is twice, now, that they violated their term of payment).

I finally got the ****s of it and demanded that I be paid as we had initially agreed; however, they tried to say that the account was blacklisted because I had hacked it back and that I wouldn't be paid until the customer could no longer get a refund from them. I argued that I returned the account in Nov, but the manager told me I was lying and was up to something.

Regardless, it is now June, I was supposed to be paid in March, and I have yet to receive the $50 payment.

Long story short, would it be "scamming" or "illegal" to re-posses the account due to failure of payment?
And if so, what are the chances this foreign company would go after me?

NOTE: All transactions are through paypal

EDIT: By re-poses, I don't mean hire someone to legally re-obtain it, I mean recover it through Jagex's recovery system. And, no, I'm not asking if it's legal to sell and recover, I'm asking if I can recover in this specific instance. I literally do not know if anything can be done since the activity itself is against TOS.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How many times to you expect to (improperly) sell the account and then steal it back?

logang11

How many times to you expect to (improperly) sell the account and then steal it back?
How many times? None. I'm tired of dealing with it and I landed an awesome internship so it's not even worth dealing with it any more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What a joke. Oh and the court won't help you either. Keep stealing this account and you are going to find yourself facing criminal charges and other legal action.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How many times? None. I'm tired of dealing with it and I landed an awesome internship so it's not even worth dealing with it any more.
You have done it once and are asking if you can do it again. So you are full of it.

logang11

Sooo...you're breaking the TOS, you know what you're doing, and you expect the law to rule in your favor?
I'm just wondering if it is illegal to reposes it due to failure of payment. I'm not trying to sell, steal, sell, steal. I only recovered it once due to an email from Jagex and legitimately attempted to return it.

"To Sir or Madam,

We have collected convincing evidence that you have tried to exchange your game character or digital goods for real-world currency.

Such RWT is devastating to the balance of RuneScape and is in violation with our policies. Any adventurer that continues to break our rules has no place in our community.

All of your game characters are now blacklisted for RWT and will be permanently monitored for RWT. Regardless of who you are or for how long you've been with us, if you continue to RWT we will be: (1) indisputably banning your account from our community in order to protect other players, and (2) accusing you in a court of law (Jagex LTD vs you), which will be a legal action based on Digital Millennium Copyright Act law infingements that is currently being processed in the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois (Civil Proceeding Serial SANC-V14-00739-CKJ-raYGYRuu).

If you do not listen to this letter and instead keep RWTing, we (Jagex Limited) reserve our rights to prosecute lawful damages against you for between $400 to $3,500 per act of past, present, and/or future RWT in compliance with 18 U.S.C. 1208(b)(2).

In addition, we have for the time being modified your game account's standing.

Please fill in the following security form to see your account's standing or to challenge the new infractions you have been punished with"

single317dad

The account was never your property to begin with. That's how they keep you from legally selling it. Read the TOS of Runescape (or any other online game) sometime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">