• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transaction Billed to Credit Card 3 months after.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RSanders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
Had our daughters wedding in Vegas on 10/10/10. In September made arrangements for receptions. I gave my Credit card number and received email confirming that they applied my 500.00 credit for the wedding. So I just assumed transaction had been made. The email was on 9/17/10. Not receiving any paper statements from the cc co. I did not go back and check off and look for each transaction.
In January when all wedding stuff I felt was completed. I paid off that Credit card. Now 8/26/2011 I find out that they charged me for that transaction on 2/11/11. I never had any reason to look up that credit statement since I knew I had paid off everything, Now with non payment charges and interest the balance is now over $800.00. Can the business legally wait over 3 months to make that transaction #2 Can they legally keep my credit number for that long.
#3, shouldn't they had contacted me about this. 2 ladies I spoke with in accounting dept. said they had no way to contact me. BUT in the same breath said they had read my email to the company back in Sept 2010. Is there any thing that I can do. I feel if the credit card only gives you 118 days to file dispute, then as a individual, we should have a time limit also. Please respond, This is really for me hard to deal with. Oh and when I was aware of this is the credit co called me at home discussing over due. and I told that lady since they didn't send me statements in the mail, I had no idea what she was talking about, that I could not remember charging any thing. Just to send me something. I told her I would not pay over phone. And she kept on and finally explained I was at home from work having heart pains, and had to rest. Finally just hung up on her I was taking nitro at the time.
Now I think that is all of it. Thanks. And have a great day.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
Had our daughters wedding in Vegas on 10/10/10. In September made arrangements for receptions. I gave my Credit card number and received email confirming that they applied my 500.00 credit for the wedding. So I just assumed transaction had been made. The email was on 9/17/10. Not receiving any paper statements from the cc co. I did not go back and check off and look for each transaction.
In January when all wedding stuff I felt was completed. I paid off that Credit card. Now 8/26/2011 I find out that they charged me for that transaction on 2/11/11. I never had any reason to look up that credit statement since I knew I had paid off everything, Now with non payment charges and interest the balance is now over $800.00. Can the business legally wait over 3 months to make that transaction #2 Can they legally keep my credit number for that long.
#3, shouldn't they had contacted me about this. 2 ladies I spoke with in accounting dept. said they had no way to contact me. BUT in the same breath said they had read my email to the company back in Sept 2010. Is there any thing that I can do. I feel if the credit card only gives you 118 days to file dispute, then as a individual, we should have a time limit also. Please respond, This is really for me hard to deal with. Oh and when I was aware of this is the credit co called me at home discussing over due. and I told that lady since they didn't send me statements in the mail, I had no idea what she was talking about, that I could not remember charging any thing. Just to send me something. I told her I would not pay over phone. And she kept on and finally explained I was at home from work having heart pains, and had to rest. Finally just hung up on her I was taking nitro at the time.
Now I think that is all of it. Thanks. And have a great day.
If this is a service or product you received, you owe the money. Have a great day.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've received statements for 5+ months showing the charge. You are WAY beyond the time to complain. I suggest you be more diligent about keeping track of your credit card statements. This will help you catch things such as this AND will also help you catch possible identity theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">