• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uber account compromise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaggz

Hi,
I am writing in this forum as I believe it is closest to my case category.

I created Uber account in 2014 and used it once or twice. I live in USA but since yesterday, someone is using my account in UK and my credit card is being charged. I wrote to Uber support and they reversed the approximately £40 wrongful charges. The support said their accounts were compromised and changed the password at their end to stop unauthorized access. Within a few hours of password change, someone used my Uber account and I got £339 charge on my credit card! I wrote to them to cancel account but they are not responding anymore.

I heard FBI is investigating, so I called FBI and have submitted online complaint. I even visited my local police department. My information has been compromised and I even received few phone calls from UK. When I answered, I heard someone breathing but they never spoke.

Please advise what I can do in this case. The support team's measures are not having any beneficial effect. Thank you!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA state

quincy

Hi,
I am writing in this forum as I believe it is closest to my case category.

I created Uber account in 2014 and used it once or twice. I live in USA but since yesterday, someone is using my account in UK and my credit card is being charged. I wrote to Uber support and they reversed the approximately £40 wrongful charges. The support said their accounts were compromised and changed the password at their end to stop unauthorized access. Within a few hours of password change, someone used my Uber account and I got £339 charge on my credit card! I wrote to them to cancel account but they are not responding anymore.

I heard FBI is investigating, so I called FBI and have submitted online complaint. I even visited my local police department. My information has been compromised and I even received few phone calls from UK. When I answered, I heard someone breathing but they never spoke.

Please advise what I can do in this case. The support team's measures are not having any beneficial effect. Thank you!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA state
Contacting Uber support was smart but you need to notify your credit card company and cancel your credit card. That is where you are accumulating the unauthorized charges. You can be issued a new card with a new number. Report to the credit agencies that your personal information has been compromised (that you are a victim of identity theft) and have them put alerts on your accounts. This should stop any additional charges.

Good luck.

single317dad

It's quite probable this person has access to the password retrieval feature of the account, whether that be a "secret question" or the backup email address. When you follow quincy's advice and get a new credit/debit card number, do not add it to this uber account. Whenever there is a privacy breach like this, you should go through all your related accounts (maybe even every account you have anywhere) and change all the passwords and security questions. Make sure you don't reuse passwords from one service to another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">