• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unknowingly received (buy purchase) stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harch99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

This is my fix..I bought a transmission from a guy who lived in fl about 8 months ago..i paid him for the transmission..he had originally listed it on ebay but no one bid on it so i emailed him on the side and said if it didnt sell i would buy it for less than what he listed it for..so it didnt sell he contacted me we met and i paid him cash for this transmission, he said that he worked at a transmission rebuilding shop were this tranny was dropped off and no one came back to pick it up so he "bought" it and has since fallen on hard times and he needs to sell it to pay bills, which was his story to me..so now i have the tranny that he said was one type of transmission but its not, its another type that only fit cars..well i have a truck i bought it because the type he originally said it was for WOULD fit my truck but this car model WONT..so I have listed it on ebay and it has a rebuild number sticker on the transmission, well someone emailed me asking questions i didnt know so i said call the place that rebuilt it and ask them...well they (the shop) ended up emailing saying its stolen and they want to buy it from me for what i paid for it because its stolen..they didnt know it was stolen till someone called and asked questions about that sticker number..they havent filled a police report from when i bought it about 8 months ago..because theyre a large place and didnt know it was missing and according to their records the tranny was bought by a local shop and then returned and hasnt been sold to any employee..they want this guys name and email and phone and the whole history on it..but i want my money..who would have to prove what? is my question..isnt possesion 9/10ths of the law and with no stolen police report just they're oversight in missing it isnt good enough..can they file a report now that it has been brought to their attention..and whose state law would have jurisdiction mine in ga or theres in fl..just wanting to know what the best resolution would be for both of us..i dont mind giving it back to them but they wont pay without a receipt of some sort...what should i do...thanks brian

harch99

i dont know..just a saying i heard...but isnt the burden on them to prove its stolen..not mine to prove it wasnt..

racer72

i dont know..just a saying i heard...but isnt the burden on them to prove its stolen..not mine to prove it wasnt..
Your problem is your chance to prove it will come after you are arrested and jailed. The offer of reimbursement for the tranny and the info on the seller is a slam dunk deal in my book.

harch99

i dont have any proof of a cash payment is what im saying to them..the company..and i dont want to be out 400 dollars either..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">