• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS denying my insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gasgirl0595

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I am hoping someone can help with this matter. I sold my diamond necklace thru ebay recently to a buyer in California for $3000. I went to the UPS Service Center in Gulfport, MS, watched as a UPS employee packaged the item, I declared what was in the package and requested it be insured for the selling price of $3000. A few days later I got a message by the buyer thru ebay requesting a refund because she did not receive the item although UPS tracking said it was delivered the day before and left at the front door. I notified UPS of the missing package to start an investigation and a case was opened automatically thru ebay when the buyer requested a refund. About a week later UPS said they could not locate the package and it was delivered according to their records so I initiated an insurance claim. In the mean time ebay notified me that I had no recourse but to issue a refund the buyer (the funds were being held by paypal) and that they would find in the buyers favor because there was no signature confirmation obtained at time of delivery so I requested that the buyer be refunded her payment. Now, UPS is requesting I provide a police report filed by the buyer for the missing/stolen package or they will reject my claim. For the last few days I have been emailing the buyer asking her to file a police report but she will not help. What recourse do I have if the buyer won't file a report with the police and because of it UPS will not honor my claim? I am in Mississippi and the buyer is in California.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I am hoping someone can help with this matter. I sold my diamond necklace thru ebay recently to a buyer in California for $3000. I went to the UPS Service Center in Gulfport, MS, watched as a UPS employee packaged the item, I declared what was in the package and requested it be insured for the selling price of $3000. A few days later I got a message by the buyer thru ebay requesting a refund because she did not receive the item although UPS tracking said it was delivered the day before and left at the front door. I notified UPS of the missing package to start an investigation and a case was opened automatically thru ebay when the buyer requested a refund. About a week later UPS said they could not locate the package and it was delivered according to their records so I initiated an insurance claim. In the mean time ebay notified me that I had no recourse but to issue a refund the buyer (the funds were being held by paypal) and that they would find in the buyers favor because there was no signature confirmation obtained at time of delivery so I requested that the buyer be refunded her payment. Now, UPS is requesting I provide a police report filed by the buyer for the missing/stolen package or they will reject my claim. For the last few days I have been emailing the buyer asking her to file a police report but she will not help. What recourse do I have if the buyer won't file a report with the police and because of it UPS will not honor my claim? I am in Mississippi and the buyer is in California.
If the buyer continues to refuse to report the missing/stolen package to the police, you can call the buyer's local police department and report the missing/stolen package yourself. Provide the police with the buyer's name and address and the shipping details from UPS. The police will contact the buyer. Use the police reports that are generated when you re-submit your claim to UPS.

gasgirl0595

QUOTE=quincy;3432184

If the buyer continues to refuse to report the missing/stolen package to the police, you can call the buyer's local police department and report the missing/stolen package yourself. Provide the police with the buyer's name and address and the shipping details from UPS. The police will contact the buyer. Use the police reports that are generated when you re-submit your claim to UPS.
I have spoken to the buyers' local PD and was told that they have had no reports filed from her address and I could not file a report myself on the phone, I would have to travel to California, which I cannot do. I was also advised because it was a civil issue to seek legal advice given the situation.

quincy

I have spoken to the buyers' local PD and was told that they have had no reports filed from her address and I could not file a report myself on the phone, I would have to travel to California, which I cannot do. I was also advised because it was a civil issue to seek legal advice given the situation.
I don't know to what city in California the necklace was sent but you can file an online report for lost (or stolen) property. Here are links to just two cities in California that detail what you need to do to report the missing package:

City of Pasadena: http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/Police/Report_A_Crime_Online/
City of Davis: http://cityofdavis.org/city-hall/police-department/online-crime-reporting

Once you file your complaint with the proper agency, send the police report that has been generated to both the buyer and to UPS. UPS also requires additional documentation - visit the UPS website (https://www.ups.com/) for details.

The missing package is a civil matter if it is a payout of insurance that is the issue. The missing package is a criminal matter if there is indication that the package was stolen or if there is indication that the buyer received the necklace and is claiming it was never received to avoid paying for the item.

kentucky1792

eBay/PayPal requires online viewable Signature Confirmation (SC) for all sales over $750 - the keywords are "online viewable". UPS & USPS don't always sell you the right SC product. Cost is between $3 to $6.

If the tracking number you forwarded to eBay/PayPal when the Item Not Received (INR) case was opened against you had a signature tied to it they would have immediately found in your favor and released your funds.

Many people prey on new sellers who don't read the transaction memo from eBay when a SC sale is made, then when it shows up at their door without it they consider it a gift.

Remember all sales under $750 only need Delivery Confirmation (DC) again "online viewable", this is what you had through UPS so they left it at the door and washed their hands of it.

Also UPS as Fedex and USPS have GPS scanners that will show the exact address coordinates on where the package was left, ask a supervisor to verify the location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">