• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wat happends if a pawn shop buys stolen merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kapakani

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hawaii

what happens if a pawn shop buys something that is stolen?

FlyingRon

Pawn shops are pretty highly regulated most places because of this potential. They require ID and keep records of those consigning things to them. If the police come by they won't hesitate to give up the person who brought the item. If you believe the shop has an item stolen from you, contact the police.

Around here, the pawnshops require fingerprints whether you are buying or selling. And they submit descriptions and serial #s of every item to the local police.

So if someone sells stolen property, the cops will be all over them very quickly.

CraigFL

And in Florida, the pawn shop lobby is so strong that if you find your stolen item at the pawn shop, they will allow you to buy it back at their cost.... Ask me how I know!

Alex23

In a lot of movies I have seen a cop has a right to slam the owner/operator's head on the desk and demand the return of said items.

Some Random Guy

In a lot of movies I have seen a cop has a right to slam the owner/operator's head on the desk and demand the return of said items.
And in today's world, 99% of the pawn shop owners have video surveillance and the pawn shop owner would then be able to retire based on his settlement from the city.

wyett717

Some states require the police to send frequent "stolen property" reports to pawn shops, so the operators can check their inventory against the police reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">