• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website overcharged my debit card; caused me overdraft fees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markraby

What is the name of your state? OH

Just recently, I purchased an item for $19.50 on a website and was told a shipping charge of $6.00, for a total of $25.50. I completed the order, got an e-mail confirmation, which again stated $25.50. A week later, I got an e-mail from them saying they shipped my order. A couple days later, I get a note in the mail from my bank saying I was overdrawn by 4¢ and it showed the purchase that caused it: this website in the amount of $26.77. It then said I have been charged an overdraft fee of $30.00. No where did I ever get any kind of notification that my order total would be raised to $26.77. I still have my e-mail confirmation and order number, as well as the notice from my bank, and have sent an e-mail to them asking for the $31.27 I am out. Am I legally entitled to the $30.00 overdraft fee that was a result of them overcharging my card?

The website, by the way, is www.carepackages.com

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

markraby said:
What is the name of your state? OH

Just recently, I purchased an item for $19.50 on a website and was told a shipping charge of $6.00, for a total of $25.50. I completed the order, got an e-mail confirmation, which again stated $25.50. A week later, I got an e-mail from them saying they shipped my order. A couple days later, I get a note in the mail from my bank saying I was overdrawn by 4¢ and it showed the purchase that caused it: this website in the amount of $26.77. It then said I have been charged an overdraft fee of $30.00. No where did I ever get any kind of notification that my order total would be raised to $26.77. I still have my e-mail confirmation and order number, as well as the notice from my bank, and have sent an e-mail to them asking for the $31.27 I am out. Am I legally entitled to the $30.00 overdraft fee that was a result of them overcharging my card?

The website, by the way, is www.carepackages.com

My response:

From the site - -

"*Shipping costs are estimated assuming all items are sent via standard shipping to any U.S. address.
Item Subtotal: $19.50
*Estimated shipping: $6.00

Estimated Total: $25.50"

What's the MAGIC word that they're using?

IAAL

M

markraby

Did you forget the fact that I actually confirmed the order and they confirmed the price?

From my e-mail:

Order confirmation number: [Edited]
Payment #1(of 1)
Credit Card: VISA
[CC# Edited]
Expires: 06-2006
Amount: $25.50
[Address Edited]
Shipment #1 (of 1)
Shipping To:
[Address Edited]
Standard Shipping: $6.00
Couch Potato (1) - $19.50

----------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS
Subtotal: $19.50
Shipping: $6.00
Giftwrap: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Discount: -$0.00
---------------------------------
*Total: $25.50
*Prices calculated in $US.

See the word "estimated" anywhere there?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

markraby said:
Did you forget the fact that I actually confirmed the order and they confirmed the price?

From my e-mail:

Order confirmation number: [Edited]
Payment #1(of 1)
Credit Card: VISA
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-2828
Expires: 06-2006
Amount: $25.50
[Address Edited]
Shipment #1 (of 1)
Shipping To:
[Address Edited]
Standard Shipping: $6.00
Couch Potato (1) - $19.50

----------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS
Subtotal: $19.50
Shipping: $6.00
Giftwrap: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Discount: -$0.00
---------------------------------
*Total: $25.50
*Prices calculated in $US.

See the word "estimated" anywhere there?

My response:

No need to see the word "estimated" there. They couldn't know the final pricing until the item was shipped, and they need to confirm the order BEFORE it's shipped. The final price is in the shipping invoice - - and shipping prices fluctuate due to the current pricing of oil.

Also, you need to review their "Terms of Service" located at the bottom of each of their pages. They aren't liable to you.

IAAL

M

markraby

IAAL, I appreciate your help, but as far as I knew, a company charging your credit card more than your order amount is illegal. What part of "*Total: $25.50" is ambiguous?

And look at the checkout page: "Shipping costs are estimated assuming all items are sent via standard shipping to any U.S. address." Does not this mean (or is it not ambiguous enough to read it so as) that your cost will be $6.00 unless you choose a different shipping option?

Besides, nowhere on the site does it say that if the shipping cost is more, you'll be charged more. I've been ordering online for years and this has never happened to me before. I agreed to a price and they charged me more than that.

Last edited:
Mark:

Where did you ship your package?

*edit: the company charges a 6% tax on items shipped to Connecticut.

Last edited:
M

markraby

It was ordered from Columbus, Ohio and shipped to Akron, Ohio. And as my order confirmation shows, it states clearly that there was no tax charged for my order.

The site says that purchases up to $300.00 have a shipping charge of $6.00. So, IAAL, for you to say that my $19 order ended up needing more than $6.00 for shipping is just unreasonable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

markraby said:
It was ordered from Columbus, Ohio and shipped to Akron, Ohio. And as my order confirmation shows, it states clearly that there was no tax charged for my order.

The site says that purchases up to $300.00 have a shipping charge of $6.00. So, IAAL, for you to say that my $19 order ended up needing more than $6.00 for shipping is just unreasonable.

My response:

Look, I gave you my "reasonable" analysis of the situation. I looked at it from all angles, and told you what I thought based on that analysis. If you believe that my opinion is "unreasonable", then take it up with the company. But beyond that, and their denial of your claim, you're not going to do anything about it anyway because the cost of "doing something" is more than what's at issue.

IAAL

M

markraby

Their response:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail. I do apologize for this inconvenience.
Unfortunately, our website does not list the sales tax for the packages. I
e-mailed our corporate office to let them know that this is a problem that
needs to be fixed. I can gladly refund you for the overdraft fee, and I do
apologize again. To process your refund I will need a fax of your statement
showing your overdraft fee. You can fax that to [edited]. Thank you again for
your e-mail, and I will get this resolved as soon as possible."

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:
markraby said:
Their response:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail. I do apologize for this inconvenience.
Unfortunately, our website does not list the sales tax for the packages. I
e-mailed our corporate office to let them know that this is a problem that
needs to be fixed. I can gladly refund you for the overdraft fee, and I do
apologize again. To process your refund I will need a fax of your statement
showing your overdraft fee. You can fax that to [edited]. Thank you again for
your e-mail, and I will get this resolved as soon as possible."

Thanks again for your input.
A simple inquiry to the company resolved the problem. Good job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">