• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whacky ebay case is this criminal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What did EBAY say when you discussed this with them?
Smart question, Dandy Don. :)

I think that communicating with eBay would be the first thing that most people would do if they had questions about an action taken by eBay.

Coming to a legal forum with "what I think happened" and "I can only deduce" and "hypothetically," to gather random strangers' guesses about what happened and what can be done, is in my mind a bit beyond silliness.

mramerican

Smart question, Dandy Don. :)

I think that communicating with eBay would be the first thing that most people would do if they had questions about an action taken by eBay.

Coming to a legal forum with "what I think happened" and "I can only deduce" and "hypothetically," to gather random strangers' guesses about what happened and what can be done, is in my mind a bit beyond silliness.
Why would you assume I came here first with this issue?And Isnt the purpose of a forum to entice discussion?

quincy

Why would you assume I came here first with this issue?
Because of your statements (e.g., what I think happened, I can only deduce), it appeared you did not seek answers from eBay. They offered you good advice, by the way, and it appears eBay is handling the matter.

And Isnt the purpose of a forum to entice discussion?
No, this is not a discussion forum. It is a legal forum. Legal questions are asked and legal information and answers are provided.

There are very few on this forum who are looking for theoretical discussions of the law because that is really not the forum's purpose. That is not to say that discussions will not be had, or hypothetical questions might not be entertained at times. But that is not the purpose of this forum. There are other places on the internet for that.

If you are looking for discussion, though, Cosmina provided you with a link to an eBay discussion forum which is probably more appropriate to your wants and needs.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I am based in Indiana

With that said I posted a negative feedback for a seller, what i think happened next is he called ebay pretending to be me with my credentials and had a case opened on my behalf and then won the case! The feedback was removed.

I did not suffer any montetary or physical losses from this, but is this something that can be punished criminally?
It is not against the law for someone to lie to someone else unless it is to obtain goods or services (for which there is some monetary value attached). Since you say there was no financial loss, and the result was that a negative comment was removed (which eBay had every right to do for whatever reason they might choose to even if the caller did NOT claim to be you) then I do not see any crime here.

You can dispute this with eBay and they can handle it administratively if they choose to.

mramerican

Because of your statements (e.g., what I think happened, I can only deduce), it appeared you did not seek answers from eBay. They offered you good advice, by the way, and it appears eBay is handling the matter.

No, this is not a discussion forum. It is a legal forum. Legal questions are asked and legal information and answers are provided.

There are very few on this forum who are looking for theoretical discussions of the law because that is really not the forum's purpose. That is not to say that discussions will not be had, or hypothetical questions might not be entertained at times. But that is not the purpose of this forum. There are other places on the internet for that.

If you are looking for discussion, though, Cosmina provided you with a link to an eBay discussion forum which is probably more appropriate to your wants and needs.
Well thats fair, the point of the forum was basically to say I think someone committed a crime against me seeing as how they lied to do something but there was no loss of any kind on my end, but i'm not sure if the specifics here constitute a crime or even if it was something that was prosecutable.. and more importantly if anyone has encountered something similar to this (and what happened in those cases if any). and I agree there have been some good answers posted here

CdwJava

Well thats fair, the point of the forum was basically to say I think someone committed a crime against me seeing as how they lied to do something but there was no loss of any kind on my end, but i'm not sure if the specifics here constitute a crime or even if it was something that was prosecutable.. and more importantly if anyone has encountered something similar to this (and what happened in those cases if any). and I agree there have been some good answers posted here
A lie is not criminal in and of itself. About all you can do is peak with eBay.

quincy

... I agree there have been some good answers posted here
If you believe you have received good answers to your questions, then the forum has done it's job well. Good. :)

By the way, posting negative reviews about an individual or an entity almost always comes with some risk - not necessarily legal risks but there can be risks of a backlash. No review should be published in anger or in haste. They should be posted only after careful reflection and, then, only after a careful editing. Stating facts in a review are rarely going to cause issues for the creator of the review. Embellishing these facts, or posting false facts, on the other hand, can cause problems best avoided.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">