• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tasco

Purchased a product through a website that claims honesty and a return policy. Product showed up in terrible shape even though they said it is in excellent condition. Trying to obtain a refund and ship it back they have ignored the complaint and am claiming I have buyer's remorse. I don't. The product is terrible and does not work with what goes in it. I found they are offering a 14 day return on ebay and when I confronted them with this in several emails, they have now sent me a cease and desist email.

They do not have a store front, will not tell me their names, they work out of a po box in CA., claim to be honest and all that, but refuse to have anything else to do with this transaction.

What is my recourse?

Forgot to mention...this was not a paypal or ebay purchase. I did use a credit card through their website link.

Last edited:

quincy

Claims of honesty and a return policy mean absolutely nothing if you are dealing with a dishonest person.

I suggest you dispute the credit card charge and repackage the defective goods and send the goods back with a "return to sender."

If a business only has a PO Box and no storefront and you are unfamiliar with the business and its history, you need to be extremely wary. These type of businesses are best avoided, no matter how good of a deal you think you may be getting on the goods. They pop up with some frequency during holiday seasons.

Tasco

Claims of honesty and a return policy mean absolutely nothing if you are dealing with a dishonest person.

I suggest you dispute the credit card charge and repackage the defective goods and send the goods back with a "return to sender."

If a business only has a PO Box and no storefront and you are unfamiliar with the business and its history, you need to be extremely wary. These type of businesses are best avoided, no matter how good of a deal you think you may be getting on the goods. They pop up with some frequency during holiday seasons.
They have a website and have been around for about 5-6 years. You can order and pay through their website. The site looked fine and their return policy looked sturdy. Only when I claimed it wasn't was I expected did they clam up, tell me I have buyer's remorse, and now ignore me. I feel I have a valid claim but they're threatening me with a cease and desist now. I did send in some paperwork to my credit card company so I'll see what happens.

Not sure why they changed their tune after the sale. They deal with musical instruments that are deemed collector items...which they are. I believe they just don't want the defective item returned and so they're using this buyer's remorse method.

quincy

They have a website and have been around for about 5-6 years. You can order and pay through their website. The site looked fine and their return policy looked sturdy. Only when I claimed it wasn't was I expected did they clam up, tell me I have buyer's remorse, and now ignore me. I feel I have a valid claim but they're threatening me with a cease and desist now. I did send in some paperwork to my credit card company so I'll see what happens.

Not sure why they changed their tune after the sale. They deal with musical instruments that are deemed collector items...which they are. I believe they just don't want the defective item returned and so they're using this buyer's remorse method.
Depending on how much you invested in the musical instrument and the result of your contact with your credit card company, you could have the cease and desist letter, and the terms of sale offered on the website, reviewed by an attorney in your area.

If the site is a legitimate one, it should have contact beyond website and email contact. Although a company that offers only a PO Box is one best avoided, it does not necessarily mean the company is not legitimate - although it should give any buyer pause. You can send a letter to the PO Box, though, detailing your complaints with the item and how you would like the matter resolved. Let the company know that you intend to send the musical instrument back and stop payment on the item but you need further contact information in order to complete the process. See what happens.

Are you an experienced purchaser of musical instruments that are collector's items? An "excellent" condition is different for collector's items. Collector's items do not necessarily have to work or be in pristine shape, in other words. A past history of the item or a signature on the item can bring an "excellent condition" statement and the item can have a higher value than the same item that works and is pretty but does not have the same history or a signature. In fact, sometimes the defects are what makes it valuable.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Tasco

Depending on how much you invested in the musical instrument and the result of your contact with your credit card company, you could have the cease and desist letter, and the terms of sale offered on the website, reviewed by an attorney in your area.

If the site is a legitimate one, it should have contact beyond website and email contact. Although a company that offers only a PO Box is one best avoided, it does not necessarily mean the company is not legitimate - although it should give any buyer pause. You can send a letter to the PO Box, though, detailing your complaints with the item and how you would like the matter resolved. Let the company know that you intend to send the musical instrument back and stop payment on the item but you need further contact information in order to complete the process. See what happens.

Are you an experienced purchaser of musical instruments that are collector's items? An "excellent" condition is different for collector's items. Collector's items do not necessarily have to work or be in pristine shape, in other words. A past history of the item or a signature on the item can bring an "excellent condition" statement and the item can have a higher value than the same item that works and is pretty but does not have the same history or a signature. In fact, sometimes the defects are what makes it valuable.

I was planning on having the issue reviewed by an attorney. The ex-musician who owns the site has maintained his name/contact# a secret from the start and has said so for "obvious" reasons. Sending a letter to the po box will not get much more done. I have sent countless emails outlining my complaint. They have always come back with an excuse and/or buyer's remorse. It's actually not a musical instrument...it's the case it was supposed to fit into. (the guitar is also questionable but I don't see me finding another like it for some time so I told them I can live with it) The case was supposed to be in excellent condition and fit the guitar snug.

I've been doing research on this guitar for over 30 years. The case was a last minute thing. I offered to send them a brand new case to put it in but they came back with the case I purchased. They showed 2 photos of the case. Open and closed...that's it. When they said it was in excellent shape I didn't see the need for more pictures. I trusted them. Like I said, the guitar is good but not pristine, but the case does not hold the guitar snug, nor is it in excellent condition.

I'm trying to hold myself back from releasing too much info for fear of them doing something else. they offer a 14 day return on their ebay site/store but threatened me when I brought this up. It was public info but they are claiming I'm stalking them.

The guitar case was misrepresented and all I want is a discount or a full refund. They are ignoring me and now accusing me of harassment when I fell I am in the right.

quincy

I was planning on having the issue reviewed by an attorney. The ex-musician who owns the site has maintained his name/contact# a secret from the start and has said so for "obvious" reasons. Sending a letter to the po box will not get much more done. I have sent countless emails outlining my complaint. They have always come back with an excuse and/or buyer's remorse. It's actually not a musical instrument...it's the case it was supposed to fit into. (the guitar is also questionable but I don't see me finding another like it for some time so I told them I can live with it) The case was supposed to be in excellent condition and fit the guitar snug.

I've been doing research on this guitar for over 30 years. The case was a last minute thing. I offered to send them a brand new case to put it in but they came back with the case I purchased. They showed 2 photos of the case. Open and closed...that's it. When they said it was in excellent shape I didn't see the need for more pictures. I trusted them. Like I said, the guitar is good but not pristine, but the case does not hold the guitar snug, nor is it in excellent condition.

I'm trying to hold myself back from releasing too much info for fear of them doing something else. they offer a 14 day return on their ebay site/store but threatened me when I brought this up. It was public info but they are claiming I'm stalking them.

The guitar case was misrepresented and all I want is a discount or a full refund. They are ignoring me and now accusing me of harassment when I fell I am in the right.
It sounds as if you will need to have this looked at by an attorney in your area, so it is good that you plan to see one.

If you purchased the guitar separate from the case, the fact that the case does not fit the guitar properly is not all that surprising. And it can depend on the guitar whether you will find any case at all that fits properly, if the guitar was custom-made. At any rate, I would think that you would be able to return the case for a refund, based on what you have said here, but I recommend you look for a replacement guitar case in your area instead of online, if you expect a good fit.

Again, I recommend you send a "real" letter to the post office box so that you have a record other than email exchanges (although you should save all email correspondence). And then see the attorney in your area for your next move. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">